What rig would be better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what ? is it abnormal to wear no lead with twin lp95's??? and is it a bad thing to have the majority of your weight be your tanks?? like if you have to go nomount wouldnt your body want to rise instead if being horizontal??

I'm saying if you aren't wearing any weight, and your inflating the majority of a 60lb wing(if its truly 60lbs), wearing 95s(especially while diving dry)... You must be a man of steel, litterally - not figuratively.

Lp95 can hold roughly 8 lb of nitrox. So given you can ditch all but one tank you still have 22 lb of lift left for the DS failure. Depending on your undies some of your weight must be ditchable. Doubles inherently have less ditchable weight in form of another tank bands and manifold so they need a bigger wing to accoint for that.
:facepalm:

Redundancy is needed because of lack of ditchable weight, not extra wing volume.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

ohhh now i get what you said. So back to the weight setup.. when diving steel cylinders(sidemount) is it better to have the majority of your tanks be the weight or have most on your body? (just incase you must go nomount or somthing..

Nomounting should be nowhere in your thought process at this point...

However, if it is in your thought process... consider that bouyancy isn't going to matter much when the restriction is tight enough for you to be going nomount into...

:facepalm:

Redundancy is needed because of lack of ditchable weight, not extra wing volume.

Well , doubles setup has more non ditchable weight that compensates for the dry suit positive buoyancy. Should the dry suit fail the wing has to be able to carry that extra weight that you cannot ditch.

Say I dive double HP130 with a drysuit that is 20lb positively buoyant. All my weight will be non ditchable. So I would need 40lb+ of lift in the wing to account for the case when my suit fails. If I do not have doubles but rather side mount I would still need those 20lb of weight which is this case can be in a form of ditchable weight so if my suit fails I can ditch say 10lb or more if I ditch the tank with the gas. So my wing no longer needs to be 40+ but rather 30+lb.

Last edited:
Well , doubles setup has more non ditchable weight that compensates for the dry suit positive buoyancy. Should the dry suit fail the wing has to be able to carry that extra weight that you cannot ditch.

Say I dive double HP130 with a drysuit that is 20lb positively buoyant. All my weight will be non ditchable. So I would need 40lb+ of lift in the wing to account for the case when my suit fails. If I do not have doubles but rather side mount I would still need those 20lb of weight which is this case can be in a form of ditchable weight so if my suit fails I can ditch say 10lb or more if I ditch the tank with the gas. So my wing no longer needs to be 40+ but rather 30+lb.
I would consider taking an intro to tech course if I were you. I think you're missing some fairly important concepts to a technical gear config.

Ditching that much usable gas just because of a wing failure is downright silly.

Back
Top Bottom