What setting to use with my D70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ABQdiver:
Karl,

I see from you tag line you have the D200. NICE!! What is your impression of the camera so far? From what I have read, it sounds like a VERY sweet outfit!!

Kevin, the D70 was a great camera for underwater photography, but I decided to go for the D200 for it's larger viewfinder, larger LCD and faster/accurate AF system. The extra resolution will help with cropped images, but honestly the D70 gave great results up to 20 x 24 and probably even larger....I just never tried anything larger than 20 x 24

Karl

rlusher:
I purchased a new D70 this year and will be taking it in the water for the first time next month. I am a bit of an amature as this is my first SLR camera and I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice on which mode and settings I might want to start with. I will be using a Nikon 60mm lense, an Ikelite housing, Flat Port and two DS-125 strobes. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod
Try this link it has got some good D70s info http://www.splashdowndivers.com/photo_gallery/underwater_photography/up_settings_d70.htm

ABQdiver:
Karl,

I see from you tag line you have the D200. NICE!! What is your impression of the camera so far? From what I have read, it sounds like a VERY sweet outfit!!

Hey Kevin... NICE HIJACK!!!

I've seen NOTHING but outstanding things on the D200. If you want to see a LOT of images, go to dpreview. Of course remember that the images are only as good as the photographer, and yes it's very possible to shoot poorly with the D200.

However as we discussed, BUY THE CAMERA! It's my next body for sure, likely by March.

rlusher:
I purchased a new D70 this year and will be taking it in the water for the first time next month. I am a bit of an amature as this is my first SLR camera and I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice on which mode and settings I might want to start with. I will be using a Nikon 60mm lense, an Ikelite housing, Flat Port and two DS-125 strobes. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rod

How much control do you have over the duel strobes in iTTL mode? Can you adjust exposure compensation on each, or is it balanced?

In any event, you have some good suggestions. However with iTTL, I'd likely try aperture, and shutter priority as well as manual before deciding upon your best shooting mode.

For WA shots, you are going to have to use the strobes in a more fill mode balancing the foreground with the background. Use your shutter speed to control the background exposure, and the aperture to handle the strobes.

Good Luck, and I'd LOVE to see some iTTL shots and hear your impressions.
Ron

RonFrank:
Hey Kevin... NICE HIJACK!!!

I've seen NOTHING but outstanding things on the D200. If you want to see a LOT of images, go to dpreview. Of course remember that the images are only as good as the photographer, and yes it's very possible to shoot poorly with the D200.

However as we discussed, BUY THE CAMERA! It's my next body for sure, likely by March.

Thanks,....... I think.:D (sorry Rod, wasn't the intent)

You and me both! I probably won't have my D200 by March, but it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned. So many positive features and reviews. Can I drool over yours???

Thanks again for all the help. The link to Splashdown Divers was great. I had been there before but as I gain more knowledge on the subject I have a better understanding of the review and recommendations so I got much more out of it this time.
Ron, I like the idea of trying apeture and shutter priority modes as well as manual.

Catherine, I will definately try the program mode to find out what the camera thinks I should be doing.
Now if only I can remember all this when I get to Roatan in a couple of weeks and come face to face with a seahorse or some equally fierce ocean creature.

Rod

The camera may be good at deciding settings topside, but shooting underwater is a whole new ballgame. I have found through trial & error that it is best to shoot in RAW on full-manual (YMMV). I have "beginning" settings that I start each dive with. These settings are based on which lens I am using and if I am shooting macro, WA or fish portraits. I then adjust after each shot (if need be). I feel the most important thing to do is to practice, practice practice topside (hey its free) until changing aperture & shutter speed becomes second nature.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom