What shark is this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a Spiney Dog to me ,a real pain in the ass to us east coast fishermen, except for the dorsal that looks like the one on the shark from the Movie "Jaws". Another drunken mistake in life I take it.:D What did your momma say ? I ll bet she was proud Eh :no:.

If you don't like my tattoo it's fine with me, but you don't need to be a dick about it. I wasn't drunk when I got it and I don't regret it one bit. I would get it again

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 04:55 PM ----------

Thanks guys, I guess it's not an actual species than, good to know :cool2:

If you don't like my tattoo it's fine with me, but you don't need to be a dick about it. I wasn't drunk when I got it and I don't regret it one bit. I would get it again

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 04:55 PM ----------

Thanks guys, I guess it's not an actual species than, good to know :cool2:
Sorry, I guess I did come across wrong while trying to be funny.
Please accept my sincere Apology .
Their is a Shark called a Smooth Dogfish and a similar Spiney Dogfish. The Spiney Dogs really are a terrible nuisance to us bottom fishermen when fishing the wrecks off Va and inside the Chesapeake bay,
a lot of people think they are sharks. Look them up for a comparison .

Even artist's renderings of known shark species often don't look that much like them!

... Their is a Shark called a Smooth Dogfish and a similar Spiney Dogfish. The Spiney Dogs really are a terrible nuisance to us bottom fishermen when fishing the wrecks off Va and inside the Chesapeake bay,
a lot of people think they are sharks. Look them up for a comparison .

As you suggested, I looked them up and the spiny dogfish I found is a shark. Specifically: Squalus acanthias. Since local names vary, is it possible we're talking about two different fish? Or maybe I'm going to the wrong references (e.g. Wikipedia and the Florida Museum of Natural History).

As you suggested, I looked them up and the spiny dogfish I found is a shark. Specifically: Squalus acanthias. Since local names vary, is it possible we're talking about two different fish? Or maybe I'm going to the wrong references (e.g. Wikipedia and the Florida Museum of Natural History).
You are right,a Spiney Dog is a shark and i guess my "a lot of people think they are sharks" was misleading,i should have spelled "aren't,but i don't spell well and sometimes my spell check is even worst. Unlike most sharks that have sharp triangular individual teeth,Spiney dogs have raspy plates instead of teeth,like a catfish has.

Been there. More than I like to admit. That's why "to err is inevitable" is in my signature.

Knotical has very politely informed me that Spiney dogs do infact have a row of teeth upper and lower as appears in the text he provided above. But they are rows of flat teeth, not pointed triangles like most sharks teeth. The text also says the teeth are sharp but having handled probably one thousand Spiney Dogs in my life I will have to disagree with the text , they are more rasp than sharp. Having learned this years ago ive lowered my guard of my fingers and I've had them chomp down on fingers while unhooking them and never have they drawn blood. I will more closely look at the next one I catch and be more cautious?
If the weather man says its gonna be partly cloudy but you look outside and it's mostly sunny...ya gotta go with what the weatherman says...after all he IS the weatherman.
Thanks for the PM Knotical.
Anyway ,the Tatto artist may have been an Atlantic wreck/bottom fisherman, eh.

Thanks, I doubt he was, but you never know I guess :wink:
BTW do you say eh, because you are teasing me that I'm from Canada or you just say eh? :lol2:

Thanks, I doubt he was, but you never know I guess :wink:
BTW do you say eh, because you are teasing me that I'm from Canada or you just say eh? :lol2:
No i don't say Eh Karolis, just trying to tease you and be funny again because i knew you would get it and it would draw a response from you.
Please feel comfortable with your tattoo ,its a nice tattoo and i think it represents a shark well. If it was a perfect ID/representation of a certain shark, and it very well may be, i don't think 99.99 percent of people could tell you what it was. But, i would keep it covered when diving during Spiny Dog mating/spawning season, although they don't have much of a bite i wouldn't want those spines humping around my shoulder.:D

No i don't say Eh Karolis, just trying to tease you and be funny again because i knew you would get it and it would draw a response from you.
Please feel comfortable with your tattoo ,its a nice tattoo and i think it represents a shark well. If it was a perfect ID/representation of a certain shark, and it very well may be, i don't think 99.99 percent of people could tell you what it was. But, i would keep it covered when diving during Spiny Dog mating/spawning season, although they don't have much of a bite i wouldn't want those spines humping around my shoulder.:D

TBH I don't think it's a spiny dog, because the tail is way too long

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom