What spear gun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belize has a reputation for large creatures. Are you sure you only want to shoot small fish? Clear water will require a relatively long gun. 48" to 55" are the most popular sizes in Florida's clear water areas.

You also didn't mention price range. Are you are looking to buy a really good gun to keep or something less expensive to learn on?
My experience is that quality guns are easier to learn on and will end up costing no more than going cheap first and then having to re-buy later.

I like Daryl Wong's custom guns. A 50" or 55" reef gun or hybrid would be the bomb!
www.wongspearguns.com

If you go to www.spearboard.com and do a search, you'll see a lot more responses to many who asked the same question there.

Chad
www.mobilescuba.com

Chad Carney:
If you go to www.spearboard.com and do a search, you'll see a lot more responses to many who asked the same question there.

Be prepared to learn that people are VERY opinionated about their choice of guns!

I would suggest you gather info and try to make an educated choice that you think will work for you!!!

For the record, I own a Spearfishing Specialties Commercial gun as well as a Daryl Wong Middle Grounds Special.

Good luck in your search!!!

Scott

ScottZeagle:
Be prepared to learn that people are VERY opinionated about their choice of guns!

I would suggest you gather info and try to make an educated choice that you think will work for you!!!

For the record, I own a Spearfishing Specialties Commercial gun as well as a Daryl Wong Middle Grounds Special.

Good luck in your search!!!

Scott

I figured as much about the opinions. I was trying to weed out any real lemons that may corrode quickly or have a junk trigger etc etc. I'll buy this online since there is nothing in Belize so I really appreciate everyone's inputs. Thanks again, Hank

Stay away from Spearfishing Specialties or Seahornet guns. The triggers are junk and will free fire if overloaded! The trigger can only handle one or two bands, any more than that, you are taking your chances.

Riffes and Wongs are very good guns (and very good triggers). You won’t go wrong with either of them.

Nice flaming first post oceanspearer!

A.B.Biller or SS Seahornets shoot fine with one or two bands, and actually begin to bind up due to over-powering, not free-fire. I along with my buddies & former customers, have used them for over 30 years and have never seen a free-fire.
They make good moderate range line guns and excellent freeshaft guns, where you need only one strong band, and can be used very effectively in clear water.

For the last 1.5 years I have switched to Daryl Wong's custom enclosed track wood guns for freediving and scuba, with or without lines.

I sell Wong (Riffe) spears in Florida now and help promote Wong speargun sales, so I have no reason to BS anybody about either Seahornet quality.

Chad

www.mobilescuba.com
www.wongspearguns.com

Chad Carney:
Nice flaming first post oceanspearer!

A.B.Biller or SS Seahornets shoot fine with one or two bands, and actually begin to bind up due to over-powering, not free-fire. I along with my buddies & former customers, have used them for over 30 years and have never seen a free-fire.
They make good moderate range line guns and excellent freeshaft guns, where you need only one strong band, and can be used very effectively in clear water.

Chad - maybe I’m flaming, but are you not saying the same thing, just using different words (except you say the trigger jams, I say it free fires)?

The bottom line is the trigger sucks on Spearfishing Specialties guns. The truth is not a flame! I do not want to see someone waste their money on a gun like I did!

Several years ago I purchased the $600 Spearfishing Specialties commercial gun and to be honest it was a complete waste of money. There is absolutely nothing commercial about that gun except for the price! I ended up buying a Riffe MT3 ($400) and I haven’t looked back. The Riffe was way cheaper and way better!

Chad Carney:
A.B.Biller or SS Seahornets shoot fine with one or two bands, and actually begin to bind up due to over-powering, not free-fire.

Gotta agree, Too many newbie shooters try to over power their guns with so many bands or super stretched rubber. It's a common mistake. I can stone a fish with just one single band. I can also reload a spare shaft in a third of the time.

Shot placement and stalking technique is everything in shooting. You need proper angle and accuracy, not blasting power.

I contacted Riffe. I can get it online no problem. Thanks to all of you. Hank

Just ordered a Riffe Competitor 3XS. Should be here in about three weeks. Thanks for all the advice. I'll try and post pictures. Hank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom