What suit to BUY..dont want to waste $$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPX28

Reaction score
Well i am in the market for a new suit.... i want something warm and flexible.
I dive year round in southern CA and CAtalina island.
Any advice on brands thickness or features would be greatly appreciated.

The first ones that cought my eye were the Henderson goldcore, the bodyglove excursion, and an Akona, which all have some kind of smooth skin lining. Also i am 5-6 and about 155 lb. if that matters.
Cost is an issue but i dont mind paying more if it is worth it.
Just dont want to be throwing my money away.(its not easy to come by :)
THanks in advance

CAPX28:

The first ones that cought my eye were the Henderson goldcore, the bodyglove excursion, and an Akona, which all have some kind of smooth skin lining. Also i am 5-6 and about 155 lb. if that matters.
THanks in advance

Buy the suit that best fits you.

CAPX28:

THanks in advance

I live and dive in the same location as you. Now that it's summer the surface water has warmmed up really nice. I've seen it as high as 68F but at depth it remains "high 50s" or even low 50s. You'll want a full 7mm with maybe more thickness in the torso area.

I use a the BodyGlove full jumpsuit with a hooded vest under it. but I don't think the brand maters as much as the fit. When you put the suit on at the store there should be ZERO space between you and the inside of the suit. _exactly_ zero, no more, no less.

My vest has that smooth skin on the inside so haing it on the suit also would be pointless

Here in So. Cal there are a few dive shops that own a line of wetsuites or at least a common owner has both the shop and the suit company. Needless to say these guys can get you a deal on the suit. I paid $125 for mine. (At the anual parking lot sale BGs go for cheap) You can pickup a "bearskin" brand suit for $100 in either San Pedro or Orange. You can buy a suit from a big national brand but you will pay big bucks for the name. Take advantage of the fact that you live in the surf/dive retailing capital of the world. There are about 65 shops here in So Cal so it is _very_ competitive in the non-pricefixed brands.

But what matters is "fit" you have to try them on.
Don't worry about buying the "wrong" wet suit. If it fits you it
is not wrong. And a guy your size will be easy to fit.

Double seal where the zipper is, the same with the cuffs and legs. Keep that water out. How about a semi dry, dry suits are soooo exspensive??? I have a 7mm.......get's a little cold in the winter.

I dive SoCal year round and have a Xcel 976 hooded suit. For me, it is good to about 55 degrees, then I get a little bit chilled, epecially at depth. It is a fantastic suit, easy to put on and take off and will serve you well, assuming it fits well. I was shocked that a standard size fit me so well.

I also just bought a drysuit since I was sick of freezing my A$$ off between dives during the winter months on dive boats.

I haven't seen anyone mention it, thereby making me question the brand name's availability near you. But have you thought of Bare. Like everyone else says, it is all about how the suit fits you. I know people that love it and people that can't fit into it. Bare however makessomethinglike the Henderson, and the quality is amazing. Its called the SGS fullsuit. Take a look, bare makes a great suit. They even have a trade in program going.

http://www.bare-wetsuits.com/bareshop/diveproduct.asp?dept_id=23010&pf_id=61425

WOW.... Thanks for the bare link The sgs seemed awsome and after calling a few shops i have been warned AWAY from the henderson hyperstretch. The bare sgs really seems like a good suit and according to the size chart they actually fit a short guy like myself unlike most other brands. I will be ging to try one on this weekend. If it fits good I don't kno wthat i can stop my impulsive money throwing ( especially with the conditions as good as they are right now ).

I have also reade a few other threads and people seem to have good things to say about bare, AND they have a trade in deal right now for an extra $60.00 off

Thanks so much for all the help guys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom