Suggestion What to consider when buying a <insert gear piece> stickies.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Racer_X

Racer_X

Registered
Reaction score
As a long time diver starting to get interested in buying gear, I'm quickly realizing I have no idea what I'm doing. Why this regulator versus that regulator? It does X better, but why does that matter, etc. etc.

If there are folks that moderate specific forums, or volunteers, it'd be great to have a sticky that highlights the options/parameters to consider for each specific piece of gear. e.g. for Computer:
1. AI or not? (Description) An Air Integrated (AI) computer uses a transmitter to track the beginning and remaining amount of gas in a tank. Some computers support up to 4 tanks. (Value/Reason) AI computers calculate Air Consumption rates from AI data, giving divers a picture of how much breathe time they might have. (Impact) AI computers in general cost more due to the need to buy a transmitter.

2. Algorithm

3. Daily use watch or dedicated dive computer

...etc.

If there are folks that moderate specific forums, or volunteers, it'd be great to have a sticky that highlights the options/parameters to consider for each specific piece of gear.

As you can see from the articles below, it takes a significant investment of time to write threads like these.

Info How to Choose a Regulator

Info Build your own Save a Dive Kit

We try to draw attention to exceptionally informative threads by moving them to the ScubaBoard Articles and ScubaBoard Knowledge Base forums or "Pin" (make them sticky) threads at the top of relevant forums. The big challenge is getting them written.

I believe that the regulator article is more than what I am suggesting. It covers the theory of regulator operations, function, etc. I am speaking of a lower level of investment focusing on the comparative details necessary to make a purchasing decision based on specifications versus opinions - placing the power in the hands of the purchaser.

Some elements, for example, "which BPW should I choose" are surprisingly simple: if you don't have one, go with this one from DGX, here's the considerations to order, and here's the options for training. Once you've been trained, you'll know enough to customize the setup, and these detailed threads on minutiae in the forum will be effective in customization - making entrance into the topic easier and increasing member engagement. Others can be culled from existing posts via data trawling. Yet others may be immaterial and not needed to address.

I concede that this requires work. The question is "is the juice worth the squeeze." While the metrics may not have been updated since 2014, it shows over 250k members. Of which 37% (vacation and new) would benefit from this effort at a minimum. Arguably, it would also encourage growth in the sport and improvements in equipment. Further, based on the 2014 numbers, 39% of the membership (97,500) would potentially be able to take part.

Participation can be segregated by component part, enabling parallel execution. This can be aided by creating a template to be followed. It can be encouraged by offering intangible benefits like titles such as "fin master" or other benefits that I'm frankly not aware of that exist for scubaboard. It's also an opportunity for someone to take greater ownership, providing a path to future greater engagement and blunting the management pyramid. This would also reduce the workload on moderators via pool expansion, duty segregation, and succession planning.

Your board, your call, and I'm not going to say any more about it - you've got enough to make a decision. Thanks for listening.

Some elements, for example, "which BPW should I choose" are surprisingly simple: if you don't have one, go with this one from DGX, here's the considerations to order, and here's the options for training.
Your example is broken. "Go with this one from DGX," is not a universally correct answer. The details of each time the question is asked matter in getting the right answer.

Hi @Racer_X

Who do you seeing doing the work to create these buying articles? A good job would require a very significant investment in time and energy. Each article would have to be checked by other knowledgeable individuals to ensure accuracy, completeness, balance.

I recently created a simple spreadsheet regarding AI computers available in the US and then decided to share it on SB. This simple task took several hours and then I was offered numerous additions and corrections

Your board, your call, and I'm not going to say any more about it - you've got enough to make a decision. Thanks for listening.

No argument that more well-written and informative stickies would be VERY welcome. The problem is further complicated with gear recommendations because specific brands and models are short lived. A comprehensive list of features to consider for different types of diving is probably a wiser use of time. Members can follow up with posts asking for specific (and timely) suggestions.

I'm hard pressed to think of any piece of dive equipment that is perfect for all conditions, let alone also being a good value.

Your example is broken. "Go with this one from DGX," is not a universally correct answer. The details of each time the question is asked matter in getting the right answer.
Not to mention that products and companies change over time. When I asked about buying a BP/W some years ago, the SB chorus recommended Deep Sea Supply, which is now defunct. At the moment, DGX gets a lot of love. Sticky articles should be brand-neutral.

Sticky articles should be brand-neutral.

Agreed, but we don't discourage brand specific reviews as articles or threads in the appropriate forum. We added a "Review" flag (title prefix) for new threads that are ideal for product specific.

1689207311987.png

We also have a "Search Forum" for the most recent 100 Reviews.

🔎 Review Threads

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom