What to eat and drink in Mexico during deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have these for our granddaughter…

Attachments

• IMG_1321.jpeg
    IMG_1321.jpeg
    96.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1322.jpeg
    IMG_1322.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 44
edit2: Just to make sure, are you needing high/medium/low/very-low carbs?

The way you treat low blood sugar (for me, and for anyone having a diabetic problem) is sugar first. Orange juice works well for me, but I've had a snickers before and that works pretty well (peanuts having some protein).

After the sugar, you have to get protein on board. For me, preferably low carb and slow digesting. If I could dive with a little filet mignon that'd be perfect, but I'm trying to find something that fits the bill that's a bit more portable.

Never had actual deco in mexico caves, never even been close. Is this for salt water dives?

If you need something other than sugar. I suggest taking a stroll through the baby food aisle. There are all kinds of options in sealed pouches that you suck through an easy opening top.

Mexico has a nutritional information label that's very similar to the US one, so you can easily figure out the protein and other contents.

I just did a quick search and there is one possible issue. It looks like Chedraui mostly has the fruit based pouches which may not meet your dietary needs. I'm not sure they have the toddler meal type of pouch that is relatively high in protein. So you may want to shop here and bring them with you.

Here's an example (for those who haven't had kids in the last 20 years):

023923333376_Earths_Best_Organic_Beef_Medley_Pouch_4.5oz_Image.jpg
I hadn't considered this - Thanks!

Never had actual deco in mexico caves, never even been close. Is this for salt water dives?
I put deco for brevity, but really it's for any place I have an overhead, deco or cave.

I'm probably overplanning here as I don't take in any carbs before diving, but if I were to have an issue, having a little bit of food will take something potentially life-threatening and turn it into an inconvenience.

I put deco for brevity, but really it's for any place I have an overhead, deco or cave.

I'm probably overplanning here as I don't take in any carbs before diving, but if I were to have an issue, having a little bit of food will take something potentially life-threatening and turn it into an inconvenience.
well you can eat a powerbar in a freshwater cave (only risking gasto ickiness later) but eating one in salt water might be harder and I would stick with straw based food

After the sugar, you have to get protein on board. For me, preferably low carb and slow digesting. If I could dive with a little filet mignon that'd be perfect, but I'm trying to find something that fits the bill that's a bit more portable.
Step up to a Slim Jim.

Might be the only legit reason to eat one of those things.

me either. the whole premise of this seems a bit out there. I've done some very long rides on the rebreather down there and just gotten right out of the water. you CAN find deco in mexico, but you have to really look for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom