What to look for when buying used BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Long time lurker. First time poster. New diver. Think I have decided on a BC model and brand (Zeagle Ranger). Found a great deal ($125) on a used one locally.

Haven't gone to look at it yet but wondering what types of things I should be looking out for when looking at a used BCD.

Tears and rips? Wing holds air? Straps stiff?

Also is it just me or do BC pics always look ghetto on sites like ebay and what not. This is the one i am looking at for example.
ae33c81d-3196-eda7.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

It's a good BC and seemingly a good price. Not much to go wrong except for the inflator and dump valves. All readily serviceable or replaceable at reasonable cost (and you already basically flagged these). If it's local and your worried, see if you can have a LDS check it out for you. You'll probably want them to service it if you buy it anyway. I'd probably go for it if it passes the sniff test because even the worst case you come in way under what it would run new.

Thanks for the quick responses. It is my size according to the Zeagle size chart. It is a Large. I am borderline XL. Should I up a size?

Firstly, all straps on a BC re adjustable, so an approximate fit should be fine.

Secondly, I bought a used BC over eBay about a month ago. Sent it back because it was leaking. It looked brand new and the price was reasonable. Luckily, the seller was a top bloke and I had no issues.

Thirdly, you MUST get it serviced before using it. Take into consideration that your LDS will have to service it maybe once a year for the rest of its useful life, and if they dislike rangers/don't know anything about the brand etc.. It can be bothersome. (May be different in America, but in Australia I think there is one Zeagle expert over in Western Australia.. Or so I've been told.

Lastly, if it's local, go ahead and take a quick look, try it on and ask if you can submerge it in water to see if it is leaking. Offer cash etc... Good Luck :)

Safe Diving,
Bryce.

Thanks for the quick responses. It is my size according to the Zeagle size chart. It is a Large. I am borderline XL. Should I up a size?

Only way to know for sure it try it. As said above, #1 is fit. If it doesn't fit, move on and get one that does. It's a good price, but not worth trying to like it if its a bad fit. It will just frustrate you.

Already checked around and there are a couple zeagle dealers in my area who do work on rangers. Gonna go give it a try this weekend.

Thanks again.

No idea why an LDS is required to service a BC. It is a bladder and a few valves. Very easy to unscrew dump/pull valves, hose, inflator, and look for salt build-up and corrosion. Also the pull valves and corrugated hose/inflator are easy to replace or perform maintenance on.

Note: Blowing a used BC up to see if it holds air is not enough. Must hold it underwater to check for pin hole leaks in the bladder or corrugated hose. Blow it up and press against the bladder to put pressure on it to see if it has any little leaks while holding it underwater.

Check tank straps and harness for wear/tears.

It's a good BC and seemingly a good price. Not much to go wrong except for the inflator and dump valves. All readily serviceable or replaceable at reasonable cost (and you already basically flagged these). If it's local and your worried, see if you can have a LDS check it out for you. You'll probably want them to service it if you buy it anyway. I'd probably go for it if it passes the sniff test because even the worst case you come in way under what it would run new.

Why would you need an LDS? If you want to know if the BC is in good condition, you should be checking everything you would normally check before going on a dive. If the inflator and dump is working, there's nothing to service.

Not to be too cynical here, but a trip to the LDS is probably just going to be a hard sell on how you should buy their newest coolest BCD because it's life support equipment and you want a warranty.

Either way, if it was me, I'd get a new BP/W for $299 or an Zeagle Express Tech for $275. Still, the Ranger is a better choice then what most new divers make and you can probably sell it for a profit down the road if you change your mind.

Long time lurker. First time poster. New diver. Think I have decided on a BC model and brand (Zeagle Ranger). Found a great deal ($125) on a used one locally.

Haven't gone to look at it yet but wondering what types of things I should be looking out for when looking at a used BCD.

Tears and rips? Wing holds air? Straps stiff?

Also is it just me or do BC pics always look ghetto on sites like ebay and what not. This is the one i am looking at for example.
ae33c81d-3196-eda7.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Ensure a good fit, check the valves and make sure it holds air. Zeagle makes a quality product that last for years if taken care of. You can always take it to your LDS and have it serviced to get a professional opinion. I had a Ranger for a few years and it served me well. I ended up selling it after I dove a BP/W for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom