What to use to cut small ropes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I absolutely adore my spyderco salt ladybug. It's small enough that it doesn't bother me when i keep it tucked in my wetsuit sleeve and will cut trough pretty much anything.
When diving in a dry suit I just attach it with a bolt snap to my short spool, it's in the pocket anyway and it makes it easy to feel the knife in thick gloves.

View attachment 786614

Actually the net is maybe only 1.5/2cm thick?

I am crap at remembering things … sorry! Everything looks bigger in water … 😂

You can see my buddy attempts on the top before he broke his cutter … I made the panel at the bottom 😎
For ref, your thumb is likely 1.5 cm across. That's still a big damn rope.

Remora.

Very sharp and lasts a long time (keep it smothered in silicone grease). Had mine for over 5 years on every dive.

They're short bladed with a single cutting side, no point, have a very thick and strong back. The cutting pattern is 1cm scallops. In action I've used it to cut through a 1" (thumb thick) rope on a wreck which it easily did. The serrations also help for thinner line, although a Trilobite line cutter's best for thin line, monofilament and netting.

1686044702485.png

Victorinox kitchen knife.
IMG_20230115_065015_DRO.jpg

Cheap as chips, and sharp.

I buy the red handled ones by the case.

I would say that it is better to steal them from Alice's in High Springs and cut it yourself. But Alice's is out of business... I wonder if it is related.:rofl3:

I’ve used tin snips for ghost trap/net removal in the past. Trauma shears work pretty good too, and they are cheaper to replace

Actually the net is maybe only 1.5/2cm thick?

Trauma shears will chew through 1.5..2cm but you will likely need new trauma shears afterwards. Like everyone else says, sawing through that with a serrated blade is the best option.

Found an abandoned lobster pot with trapped creatures inside, I was wondering what’s a practical tool you could use to cut the rope on the sides of a pot.

We used a trilobite and although we managed to cut a panel, that was painful.

Would trauma shears (like the dive rite one) work well for a small 3-4cm diameter rope?

I would rather not carry a pointy knife if I don’t need it, I don’t like the idea of having something sharp in my drysuit 😂
I cute rope and fishing line all the time with trauma shears. The only thing id say is find cheap ones as they tend to rust fast at the pivot point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom