What type of fins do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need to get a neoprene wingsuit, so I can do dolphin style swimming with my webbed tailfin between my legs.

If you're not using SP Jet Fins, then you're using inferior fins...

...sorry...just trying to start a fight. :D

I want fins which are stiff enough to easily do the precise positioning kicks, back kicks, etc. Since lighter fins help me to trim out better, OMS Slipstreams or Dive Rite fins are the ticket, with the Slipstreams being my favorite. (I have no particular need to go fast and rarely use a flutter kick.)

I hear so much negative talk about split fins. I am just wondering what all the buzz about Hollis F1, OMS, And Scubapro Jet fins. Please share you knowledge.

I started out with mares plana avanti quattro abs fins because I was told that they are the ones that I wanted. Turned out to be nice fins, got me through my recreational phase of diving. I got a pair of ScubaPro Jetfins when I started into "tech", because that is what you are supposed to do. I was told the leg cramps would go away and they did. Next I got a drysuit and my jets no longer fit the drysuit's turbosoles. ScubaPro's next larger Jetfin size was WAY too big. I, like everybody else, had to go to OMS Slipstreams. Same profile as jets, but made of a much less dense material. I really missed the weight. ScubaPro finally fixed this obvious oversight with their XX-LARGE (NOT the same as XXL's) size. All is well.

Divers using splits can out-swim me and I felt a bit badly about it until someone pointed out that those divers were in wetsuits and not dragging doubles and deco bottles along with them.

Borrow fins and buy what works for you. No matter what you end up with, there will always be a bunch of divers that think you are brilliant.:wink:

If you're not using SP Jet Fins, then you're using inferior fins...

That would be true until SP came out with the new Novas. The Novas are the best fins ever made and will beat all other fins in any test. They come out on top in every comparison against all other fins. They are the best period.

:boxing:

I refuse to dive anywhere that requires a strap-in fin. Too cold, not worth it.

Wus :wink:. It's not real diving if you don't look like something from a science fiction movie. Us northern divers don't have much choice if we want to dive often. The quarry was a toasty 44 degrees F last weekend.:D

I personally like the open heal fins because I find the closed ones tend to rub on my toes and cause sores. Also, I don't have much of a choice where I live.

Mares raptor Split Fins. I go fast when needed and they don't seem to mess me up otherwise.

I've used every kind of fin imaginable over the last forty years, my favorite for years was the U.S.Divers Rocket fins then the Dacor Rocket fins.

Finally a fellow DM turned me on to the SP Split fins and I fell in love with the ease of the kick.

I'm sure there's all kinds of different opinions but there's also just as many different types of dives and divers.
There is no such thing as one size fits all.

JMTCW

I currently use SP twinjets. For my diving they are comfortable, fast enough, and I can do any kick I want. In fact I learned back kicks in these fins. They are a bit heavy, and I usually use a different fin when travelling or in my kayak. I would love to try SP jets more, but for my foot size, the blade is just too big for me and very tiring. I have also tried other splits and didn't like them. The twinjets seem to have enough stiffness to give a fair push when needed, but also the ability to just ease back with a light flutter.

I think the problem others have alluded to about splits not being able to deliver in a current has more to do with the diver trying to exaggerate their kick and not staying with the short flutter that makes them efficient. The point here is there is no one best fin. A fin with a comfortable foot pocket, combined with a paddle size/stiffness that feels comfortable and lots of practice will endear many different fins to their divers.

I use aqualung slingshots when doing drift dives as it does provide the needed propulsion for going up current. Mostly though I use apollo Bio fins which amazingly enough has allowed me the added thrust needed to get that one extra point I needed in Dive Master Class.

Ultimately I believe the type of fin that works best for each diver is a unique situation as each diver has diffrent needs and so forth. Kind of like which brand of car works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom