What vidio camera to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO you are better off with a Mini DV tape based cam. Some of the best software video editors don't like the other formats.

At least check and see if the software you plan to use for editing is compatible with the DVD or HD files that the camera creates.

If you don't plan to do any editing, then it won't matter.

I agree with Thom, to do any editing you'll need to find software that will edit an AVCHD format file for the SR1. Currently I'm not aware of any that do, but I'm hearing several will later this spring.

For the same money either the HDR-HC5 or HC7 would be better for editing. As they output standard HDV files over Firewire. Which most editors currently support. And the HC5 is also $1099. If you do plan to do any HDV editing, notice the hardware requirements on the software package, they're generally pretty substantial.

You can buy one of the inexpensive tube housings that will give you basic control over recording - Aquatix makes one. But you'll have to sort out your own lights/mounting. I just posted a couple of better options here. Both have lights available as part of the package.

sjspeck:
I agree with Thom, to do any editing you'll need to find software that will edit an AVCHD format file for the SR1. Currently I'm not aware of any that do, but I'm hearing several will later this spring.

For the same money either the HDR-HC5 or HC7 would be better for editing. As they output standard HDV files over Firewire. Which most editors currently support. And the HC5 is also $1099. If you do plan to do any HDV editing, notice the hardware requirements on the software package, they're generally pretty substantial.

You can buy one of the inexpensive tube housings that will give you basic control over recording - Aquatix makes one. But you'll have to sort out your own lights/mounting. I just posted a couple of better options here. Both have lights available as part of the package.

I just visited the Aquatix site, it seems to me that the max depth for the housings is not listed, do you know about it by any chance?

Thanks!!!

alo100:
Cool. Should have spent more time on it.
Another question, how do you like it comparing to housings made by other manufacturers? Do you also recommand other alternatives which are compariable?
Personally I couldn't function without more controls than they offer. Even on the $659 model. At least some sort of auto/manual focus option and I've found cue/review to be useful underwater also. And I occasionally switch to photo and shoot a still.

For $850-899 you can get into either an Ocean Images Dolphin Pro or a Top Dawg/Light & Motion Stingray (basically the same housing) and have a better control set. And if you ever want to hang a set of lights on them - you can. You'd have to clamp something to the Aquatix housing since it's not thick enough to drill into.

Also both sell an add-on monitor. And the O/I has a flipdown red filter which might be useful in shallow water. The Aquatix, L&M Stingray and Top Dawg all require you to mount the filter to the camera. Without lights in blue water it's something you'll want to use anytime you drop below 15'.

Although I normally shoot with the filter in place most of the time, there was one time recently (see my profile pic) that I was glad I could flip mine up - with the red filter down the footage would've been yellow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom