What were the pool sessions like in your OW course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"how many students in pool?" I tick 1, "did you know any of the others?" well, I guess I know myself, but I'm not really someone else? So depending how you get the scores (ie each answer "sheet" separetly or all the answers to the same answer together), you'll get significant bias...

Good catch. And even though I hadn't thought of that until just now, it's not a problem.

Data is collected as a relational database in a pretty robust analytics platform. Easy to sort that out. (Easier than programming the survey around that issue in the first place, in fact.) Ultimately I'll simply not include "1 student in class" respondents in any analysis relative to whether you knew anyone else in the class.

Maybe your next survey should explore why everyone is different than the other guy, why this survey doesn't apply to them, and why they feel the need to tell you about your survey preparation inadaquacies.

Maybe your next survey should explore why everyone is different than the other guy, why this survey doesn't apply to them, and why they feel the need to tell you about your survey preparation inadequacies.

It's all good. I'm glad that folks are participating. And if folks are interested and care enough to comment on it as well... that's cool too.

That said, it is funny that everyone always thinks that they are an "outlier" for any survey. But invariably the data come back in a normal distribution...

Capture1.PNG

Deleted to not be prejudicial

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP
WANTED TO MAKE SURE FOLKS THAT DON'T FREQUENT BASIC and NEW FORUMS SAW THIS...

A bunch of us were chatting at a Beneath The Sea over the weekend about the best structure for pool sessions for an initial scuba certification course: how many sessions, how long, how many students, etc. We all decided that we were in agreement as to what WE thought would work best.

However, we also decided that we had no idea - nor had anyone ever specifically asked - what the students thought about the way the pool sessions were structured.

Thought it would be interesting to find out, so here's a quick survey that I hope folks will take:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KPPMC2T

If you've already taken the survey - thanks!

Will report full results out here on Friday.

If any shop, instructor, group (or dare I say agency) wants a separate link to share with their own mailing list/FB/twitter, etc PM me. Such a link will allow me to give you a separate data report for just your participants.

Thanks!

Good questions. Certification prep and training time was a hot topic in some of the sessions at the Boston Sea Rovers gathering a few weeks back too.

Reactions: RJP
NOTE: If you haven't taken the survey yet, please do. Getting good response here, twitter, FB, email, and multiple other social media sites. The respondent pool is getting quite sizable and if we can drive it higher then the ability to do deeper analysis, subcuts, etc is really increased.

So, if you haven't taken the survey already... here's the link:

Pool Sessions in Initial Scuba Training Survey

Also, if you want to share the survey elsewhere - your FB page, your shop's website or twitter feed, etc - please do. Here's a separate link for that. (Allows mee to analyze SB respondents separately.)

Pool Sessions in Initial Scuba Training Survey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom