what would you do? Mk25 or HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have 2 Mk25 first stage in my hand, they are used but in good conidtion. I can get them serviced. Or I can sell them and buy myself 2 new HOG D1 cold. The final cost will be about the same. I choose Scubapro the first place because I can get support and service easily, local or aboard. How is that for HOG? D1 being sealed diaphram design, does it make enough of difference in Monterey kind of water? What would you do?

Btw, they will be use for double.

Keep your MK25 :) I recently got a set of new MK25s although I could go with HOGs :) .. Joking ... I just did not want to get another diaphragm reg...

I was looking at HOGs and a minor inconvenience I saw was that the low pressure side (the one with the diaphragm) protrudes too far just as on Apekses and other regs of the same design slightly interfering with the access to the valve knobs.

Those who have them say it's not an issue though...

MK25s does not have that as the DIN connector is located almost at the end of body.

I recently put a question on this forum as well as the others regarding the lowest temps that MK25 can handle and I saw many replies from people saying they were using them as low as 37f in fresh water.

There were few people from California as well saying they are working very well. I'm yet to test my set though.

Speaking about the support it can be tricky even in Canada. My LDS that services Apekses, Scubapros, Zeagles Mares etc. and have parts for them has never seen HOGs.

So if you travel a lot and care about the support you either have to stick with SP or buy kits and cary them with you. If you are going to mostly use and service them in the US I'm sure you can have a great support from the SB members.

It also makes sense to see what your local team is diving and stick to that, it's not critical but helps in some cases in terms of getting replacement parts etc.

I like diaphragm 1st stages, they are a very simple and reliable setup, though if you own MK25's now I don't see a need to change them out, they are a great reg, a little tricky to service at times but this is not a concern for the average user, a well care for MK25 will last decades if the MK10, MK15 or MK20 are any indication.

I am not sold on HOG yet, there are too many companies that pop out of nowhere become the "in thing" due to price or feature, only for them to dissapear a few years or months later. I like to deal with established companies that will be around in 5-10 years. I have seen and worked on HOG Regulators they are nice though nothing to write home about (Apeks DST & TX50 Clone for the most part) in the grand scheme of thing not much different than Dive rite, Halcyon, Pro Blue, Genesis... who don't engineer the regulators, but get someone else to do build it for them, or get them to copy an existing design.

Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung, Cressi and Atomic are some of the companies I generally recommend, since they are establish and innovative (meaning they spend money on R&D) they launch "true" new products not and old design with a new sticker.

Though at the end of the day it all depends on what you feel comfortable diving with... it's your life after all.

I recently put a question on this forum as well as the others regarding the lowest temps that MK25 can handle and I saw many replies from people saying they were using them as low as 37f in fresh water.

There were few people from California as well saying they are working very well. I'm yet to test my set though.
I am one of those Californian's that dove Fallen Leaf lake down to 37 degrees using two MK25's.

We have my set of MK25's and my partners HOG cold water setup. They both work great. At this point I have no intention of getting rid of my Scubapro stuff, but I also wouldn't buy it again.

Since it sounds like you are not under the parts for life program, why not run the service interval many other brands choose which is a two year interval. As long as they are working well, let it ride. Many of the issues I hear with peoples regs is right after service.

A vote for the HOGs here. You couldn't talk me into using an unsealed 1st like the Mk25... Especially in our local silty salt water. No question about it.

The HOG is a "clone" because it's a "tried and true" design. It seems silly to criticize it as BOTH the "new kid on the block" AND "antiquated in design."

NEW HOGs vs. used, serviced Mk25's? No question in my book...

Unless you live close to Scubapro dealer, what is the point of buying any of their gear that needs to be serviced unless you want to drive to a far away dealer or send it in the mail. I have friends that moved back east from Las Vegas and now have to drive an hour and a half just to get to the nearest SB dealer. Inconvenient.

MK25 anytime, that's a no-brainer: time proven design, rock solid, extremely well made, serviceable all over the world if you choose to do it by the book, or can go a looooooong time without servicing if you choose to manage the risk yourself (see couv's commandments).

I own both. My original doubles regs were Mk25/S600s, but we have been switching over our entire stable of regs to HOGs, and my singles reg is a HOG. I cannot tell the difference in breathing them, which is saying something, because I dive in a culture that does a lot of gas sharing drills, and I've never found any regs I liked as well as my MK25s, until now.

If I were not going to service my own regulators (which was our reason for going to the HOGs in the first place) I'd base my decision on which was easiest to get to an authorized service facility. I think both regs are excellent.

Keep the 25's!!!!!!

Keep your MK25 :) I recently got a set of new MK25s although I could go with HOGs :) .. Joking ... I just did not want to get another diaphragm reg...

I was looking at HOGs and a minor inconvenience I saw was that the low pressure side (the one with the diaphragm) protrudes too far just as on Apekses and other regs of the same design slightly interfering with the access to the valve knobs.

Those who have them say it's not an issue though...

MK25s does not have that as the DIN connector is located almost at the end of body.

Have you never seen an Apeks DS4/FSR/Tec3, or a Hog D2 1st stage mounted on doubles. They most certainly do not protrude or interfere with access to the tank valve knobs.

The DIN connector is located at the end of the body on each one.

Speaking about the support it can be tricky even in Canada. My LDS that services Apekses, Scubapros, Zeagles Mares etc. and have parts for them has never seen HOGs.

So if you travel a lot and care about the support you either have to stick with SP or buy kits and cary them with you. If you are going to mostly use and service them in the US I'm sure you can have a great support from the SB members.

It also makes sense to see what your local team is diving and stick to that, it's not critical but helps in some cases in terms of getting replacement parts etc.

HOG service kits are readily available. Anyone who can service an Apeks reg, can service a HOG reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom