What wrench size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry 1/2", 9/16" and 5/8' open end wrenches in my dive bag along with a very small adjustable wrench which I bought at Wally's for $4. So far they have worked for everything.

Adjustable wrenches are invaluable. Hog recommends a pair of thin adjustables for doing the service. I found the recommended ones.$ 37 each OR I am fortunate enough to have a nice bridgeport mill and a set of end mils to make my own. So its off to sears and for less than 20 bucks I'm set.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

If I had a Bridgeport to go along with my lathe I could make my own regulators and tools.

+ 1 for adjustable wrench and a set of hex keys. Easy to carry anywhere even on fly away trips. I use Zeagle FH VI for my doubles, Sherwood SR1 for single, HOGs D2 on my stage bottles and GF uses Mares Abyss 22. Therefore I do not have to worry about what size wrench I should bring along.

Hey Jim, Where'd you find the thin adjustable ones ????....I did the same as you w/two standard wrenches...Machine shop ground the jaws thin, but I'd like to see how the premade ones look [friends/dive buddies are always borrowing mine, may tell them where to go.........to get their own !!! ].....Thanks

Do a google search for the hakuma thin adjustable wrench that is recommended for the course. I can't post a link now as my blackberry is not to keen on google searches and I don't have the part number handy. The hakuma has angled jaws as well as being thin.

Hey Jim, Where'd you find the thin adjustable ones ????....I did the same as you w/two standard wrenches...Machine shop ground the jaws thin, but I'd like to see how the premade ones look [friends/dive buddies are always borrowing mine, may tell them where to go.........to get their own !!! ].....Thanks

Contact Richard Dreher @ superiordivetraining.com he sells the 'Sea Spanner' (imported from New Zealand) @ $ 95 U.S. each....I bought a matching pair a few months ago from him, they're made from high tensile stainless steel, and are completely immune to the destructive effects of sea water, are perfect for working on regs, and small/light enough to fit in a small dave-a-dive kit.

Adjustable wrenches are invaluable. Hog recommends a pair of thin adjustables for doing the service. I found the recommended ones.$ 37 each OR I am fortunate enough to have a nice bridgeport mill and a set of end mils to make my own. So its off to sears and for less than 20 bucks I'm set.

...and pray tell, how much does your 'nice bridgeport mill'....and your 'waterjet' (mentioned in another thread) cost ???

Nothing. It's what I do at my real job. I work in a machine shop :D. And right now have time to do what are known as Gubmint (government) jobs. As long as I get my work done I can use any of the tools we have available. Sometime I'll post a pic of the handle I made for my 6 cell maglite out of 1 inch al bar stock. And some of my friends have very nice brass or stainless steel kickplates on their doors. My work partner has a real cool Harley sign made out of polished al diamond plate. I am picking up the wrenches today to do the mods on. Once I get them finished I'll post pics and maybe start making them for sale.

Just looked at the Sea Spanner. It does not have the narrow jaws that are recommended for the regs. I'd still have to mill or grind it. Nice wrench yes, but not worth 95 bucks to me.

+ 1 for the adjustable spanner/wrench thing.

Many regulators are indeed fairly standard and then you come across random models from certain companies that aren't. One spanner is usually enough, plus a set of allen/hex keys. If you find you are struggling to remove a hose with a single wrench, fixing the regulator to the tank (air off, of course) works 99% of the time....

Cheers

C.

Back
Top Bottom