What's a "Chamber Day?" - Well, this is! (part 1 of 2)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here are some shots from Chamber Day in SoCal. Welcome to Chamber Day!. I'll post another thread soon with shots from Chamber Evening (aka: Scuba Prom).

CHAMBER DAY
This is a very cool day for divers in SoCal. Its Diver Ditch Day - its always the first Wednesday in May. Most of the SoCal boats donate their time, divers take a day off of work, buy a boat ticket that takes them to Catalina island for a couple of dives and a tour of the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber. Additional information about the event is located here: Welcome to Chamber Day!

I've been doing this for about 10 years now, and I love it. The Chamber chaps are a bunch of hard-working volunteers who have my back every time I strap on a regulator. Its my pleasure to support them through this endeavor.

HOW IT WENT - the day's events

We boarded the SunDiver (chartered by my guys at Ocean Adventures in Venice, CA. I love those people!) early Wed AM and headed to Catalina. The boats stagger their arrivals - some doing 1 dive then Chamber visit, then second dive, some visit then do two dives, etc. We were among the first to the island, and probably the third group to the Chamber tour. The Chamber sort of has its own harbor on Catalina - with its own dock, etc. We're waiting to drop off - that's the Bottom Scratcher at the dock picking up their divers.

After the Bottom Scratcher picks up, the Sundiver pulled in and dropped us off.
attachment.php

Here's Kyaa and Jules backing out and going to stage its bad self among the other boats while we start the tour.

attachment.php

Karl Huggins greets us. He kinda runs the place. He gives us the welcome and kicks off our tour. You'll see him again later at Chamber evening, holding the big Golf Check. Here's his best side.

Karl handed us off to the Baywatch hunks. I mean, they're no Hoff - but then again, who else really is? That boat is about 35 or 40 years old. Just sayin. I should look so good when I'm that old.

On the way up the dock, Claudette and I ran into Debbie. Its always great to see her. What a sweetie!
attachment.php

A quick walk up the dock and its Helecopter time. This thing is there every year, and its always a crowd pleaser. One year (I think three years ago) they got a call AS WE WERE THERE - we had to clear the pad and they took off. Pretty neat.

Gather Around, y'all

"I once saved a diver THIS BIG...."

Bart (one of my rabbits) and Coast Guard Chopper - separated at birth? One is a little fuzzier.

CG DrySuit - when they're flying, they're in these.

CG Uses Spare Air. Who knew?

Basket Case

More Chamber Day below!

Chamber Day - Continued

Inside CG Helecopter

CG has lift bags on both sides to float the thing long enough for a successful ditch. It can't take off when the bags are deployed, but it does stop the chopper from sinking like a stone. Who knew?

When we finished with the helecopter, it was a short walk to Joe. He's been here for a long, long time. He greeted the group, gave us the history and purpose of the Chamber, spoke about treatment, the amazing volunteer staff and then took us inside.

The Blue Beast

Here we are, loading into the Chamber. Once we're in, they pressurize it to ONE FOOT! Your ears pop... its amazing. One year I'll take the camera inside the chamber, housed in the Deathstar to get some shots during the Chamber ride.

And we're done! Get me out of this tube!!!

Here's a peek-a-boo shot - I'm on tiptoes, shooting from the outside of the Chamber, through a little porthole of very thick glass - at the next group getting their Chamber ride.

GEEK ALERT *** GEEK ALERT *** GEEK ALERT

There is lots, and lots of plumbing that makes all of this work. So here are some compressor and bottle and valve and plumbing shots for the compressor heads in our audience.

You Are Here!

More Chamber Day Stuff Below!!

Chamber Day - Continued

Here is part of the Command Center - logs, guides, clocks, alarms and more. The tools of the un-benders.

This is the Medical Pass-Through. If you're inside getting a treatment, and you need some medication, they put it in here, pressurize this mini-chamber and grab it. I just think its funny that the things closest to the Medication door are Coffee and Afrin.

The Chamber has recently built this cool back area with snorkeling gear and all kinds of stuff for visitors and volunteers. Lots of this has been donated by divers throughout the years.

On our way out of the chamber, as we started back towards the dock for pick up my the SunDiver there was a giant RIB that pulled up. A 55' Sheriff Boat. It should be said here: The Sundiver has the hottest crew on the water. Hot Kyaa, Hot Jules, Hot DM Meagan. Just sayin. If you're gonna be on a boat for a day, you could do a lot worse. All this and a day of excellent, capable, fun eyecandy. I love Chamber Day on the SunDiver!

Hot DM Meagan pretending she knows what she's looking at.

Sheriff uses OMS. Who knew?

After our tour we did our two dives. After the dives it was rack back to port for Chamber Evening (Scuba Prom.) On our way back it was time to hang with friends and raffle off prizes galore.

That's it for Chamber Day.

Chamber Evening Report up soon!!! How do all of these divers scrub up for Scuba Prom, you ask.

Some scrub up nicely!

:wink:

-Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom