What's an Internet Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Internet Divers are OK, It’s the Text Book Divers, that are the problem.
Textbook divers, read anything and everything they can about diving, but do little if any real diving of their own. They then deal out advice online, like an expert, based on what they have read. True, these textbook divers tend to be knowledgeable, but I’d rather take my advice from someone who as done it 100 times, than from someone who has read in depth about it, regardless of the author. These textbook divers, will present themselves like they are some aquatic guru, but in fact, they are just dry dock scuba junkies.

Arduous:
but I’d rather take my advice from someone who as done it 100 times, than from someone who has read in depth about it, regardless of the author.
and I have seen divers that have done it (dives) 100's of times and still have no clue. <sigh> The truth is somewhere in between. Doing something wrong 100's of times doesn't make someone an expert, but only reading about it in a book doesn't do it either.

Anyone up for a game of PacMan?

JeffG:
and I have seen divers that have done it (dives) 100's of times and still have no clue. <sigh> The truth is somewhere in between. Doing something wrong 100's of times doesn't make someone an expert, but only reading about it in a book doesn't do it either.

I can't argue with that Jeff

jonnythan:
I'm the poster child for Internet Diving. I've learned 10 times as much online as I did in any class. I'm guilty of everything on your list.

Without my internet diving, I probably wouldn't be doing 90 minute dives to 75', diving a long hose, diving with a backplate, diving doubles, etc etc etc.

chalk me down here too..i've learned more good stuff here than any class..and i just got my bands last night..;D

An internet diver is one who just cyber dives and rarely gets wet.

There are many ways to obtain knowledge to become a better diver. The internet is one of them. You must turn that knowledge into practiced skills (ie. actually diving) to become a competent diver. The person that doesn't, either because of choice or circumstance will not become a good diver.

ScottZeagle:
If you are an internet diver, are you required to have a longer cord on your computer???

Just wondering what the DIR specs are for internet diving!!!

:wink:

Unfortunatly I don't have a backup mouse to bungie under my chin. :D

SeanQ:
Unfortunatly I don't have a backup mouse to bungie under my chin. :D

You can be lucky that backup mouse is black...........nice.

In a sense aren't we all internet divers?

OE2X:
An internet diver is one who just cyber dives and rarely gets wet.

I view it more as being an internet diver as being the one who is like almost everyone on this board - we dive, we use the 'net to expand our information knowlege base, dive buddies, research new gear, and more. The Cyber Diver is the one who rarely gets wet, looks at gear, might visit a shop, has a 'know it all' about dive gear and all aspects of diving attitude, and either bought gear before they even took a class or haven't bought it yet and just rent on their once a year trip.

Rick Inman:
So what exactly is an Internet Diver? Someone who spends more time online than diving? Someone who learns diving techniques on a diving forum? Someone who makes gear choices based on what they read online? I know I'm guilty of all three of these things. Or is it something else? And do you consider yourself an Internet Diver?
Yes to all the above! I am an internet diver but not on the weekends.. then I dive!

great thread - he he...

I'm an internet diver ... and why is this in the "Non-Diving Related" forum?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom