What's in your drop pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had not thought about a half dump and I can "swim up" 15 pounds if by swim up you mean no wetsuit and fins retrive a weight from the bottom of a pool .

My weight woes stem from being a big guy with a barrel chest 54 inch chest puts me at xxxxl 38 hip puts m at xxl bottom i am renting a wetsuit now and always get there farmer jon style in 7 mm so its 14 mm in the chest it takes tons to get me down and i always feel overwieghted when it finaly all crushes. Dont get me wrong its a warm suit and that is its job but i think a custom one piece would let me shed considerable lead

I would love to dive with less lead but honestly most of it is for me I'm 290-300 diving is part of my attempt to be more wctive and healthier

A custom one piece will help. One thing to be aware of is many off-the-shelf one piece suits are made with very elastic neoprene to make it fit everyone, the same elastic properties crush more than normal making them problematic for some. A custom suit can be made with neoprene that crushes less. Getting gear that fits you correctly makes a huge difference in comfort in the water.

Depending on conditions and gear , I use from 12 pounds to 24 pounds of weight. 20 to 30% at most is non-ditchable. The rest I can lose in 2 pound increments via my integrated weight pocket systems. Incidentally, in almost 1000 dives I have never ditched a weight.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom