What's the chance of being charged a camera tax at Los Cabos Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am flying to Los Cabos Airport on my way to Socorro. I just hear these anecdotal stories of someone being taxed hundreds of dollars for their camera equipment, with no chance of recourse. Not sure if they arrived with a full set of pelicans. Just in case, I am ditching my scuba bag and maybe setting the whole gear up as one unit. What is the chance of being stopped and searched if I travel with regular suitcases and look like beachfront tourists?

I have been to Cabo multiple times and have not yet had any issues when using a regular looking camera backpack. Ultimately it is a random press of a button as to whether you get screened or not.

Thanks, I saw that. I think if the target you, there is no way to get out of it. Not sure if they are still targeting divers now like they were a few years ago.

There is conflicting discussion of whether the camera should be in the case. Some say they break gear up and stash individual pieces in different suitcase/bag so a search for one will not reveal all the gears, others say it should be assembled with camera in the housing in order to demonstrate that it works as one unit.

I have been to Cabo multiple times and have not yet had any issues when using a regular looking camera backpack. Ultimately it is a random press of a button as to whether you get screened or not.
I hope that's the case. I've been to Cozumel plenty of time and never got the red light. I don't even know the probability of that light turning red.

I wasn't shooting photography at the time I went through the airport, but other people on our boat sent their housing with another family member a few minutes ahead of them in an inconspicuous bag. The housing seems to be what they "tax" and use to determine how much you pay.

Bumping this, looking for any further intel. Thanks.

I arrived in Los Cabos airport yesterday from Europe through Mexico City Airport.
No problem at all in Mexico City and no in Los Cabo of course because domestic flight.

When I went through SJD airport earlier this month on a relatively busy time of 1pm, almost all people were going straight through w/o being bothered by customs, nor were people being caught by the red light/green light button. I think I saw 2 people's luggages being searched out of all the custom lines.

People on my LOB said they are always on the lookout for pro equipment as wedding shoots is big in Cabo, with hired photographers flying in, bringing their equipment and charging a fortune for their service. The divers carrying tens of thousands of dollars in camera equipment usually are amateurs with more money than skills, but to customs, they look no different than other pros that fly in with tons of equipment. People with point and shoot cameras don't have anything to worry about.

When I went through SJD airport earlier this month on a relatively busy time of 1pm, almost all people were going straight through w/o being bothered by customs, nor were people being caught by the red light/green light button. I think I saw 2 people's luggages being searched out of all the custom lines.

People on my LOB said they are always on the lookout for pro equipment as wedding shoots is big in Cabo, with hired photographers flying in, bringing their equipment and charging a fortune for their shoots. The people carrying tens of thousands of dollars in camera equipment for diving usually are amateurs with more money than skills, but to customs, looks no different than other pros that fly in with tons of equipment. People with point and shoot cameras don't have anything to worry about.
Correct they are looking for anything "professional" - not just camera equipment. Because in part people like those wedding photographers don't have any MX work permits.

Thanks. Any thoughts on whether camera should be in housing, or separate? Have read conflicting views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom