What's the chance of being charged a camera tax at Los Cabos Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d say it does not matter if the camera is in the housing or not. As far as them only looking for professional equipment, I’m not so sure about that. On our last trip, two divers from our group were profiled and pulled aside for “inspection.” One was charged a $75 tax on a 10+ old SeaLife DC2000 camera and the other was charged $150 tax on two video lights. They took both of their passports and would not allow them to leave until the tax was paid. Video lights are not even considered taxable, and even though the diver had a copy of the law, they didn’t care.

We just got back. No issues at all for us. I was prepared, following the Nautilus guidelines. Had documents of current values, etc. When we were clearing customers we were asked;
"Purpose of visit?"
"Diving"
"Camera? Housing?"
"Yes."
"Enjoy your trip."
That was it. I'm sure it can happen but we had Zero issues and we were completely honest, hiding nothing.
I would guess that if it escalates and you are obviously hiding things its going to raise red flags.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom