What's the deal with Cuban diving anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you've left yet. I've dived in Cuba on 2 separate trips- 2010, 2012. Cayo Levisa is a small island NW of Havana. Good dive op, safe, good DM on my dives. Beautiful water and reef. At Playa Giron (Bay of Pigs), decent operation, old but OK equipment, very good DM, all shore dives as reef is very close to shore- some of the most beautiful, healthy, colorful coral I've ever seen, even compared to Cozumel and Riviera Maya; did not see any lg fish. Trinidad (Playa Ancon) had a good dive op, vg DM. All these places had only one dive op to "choose" from. Prices $40-70/ 2-tank.
The water off Cuba is very unpolluted since they went to all-organic farming in the 90's- no pesticide-fertilizer runoff mucking the water up. Awesome coral you won't see almost anywhere else in the Caribbean. And the people are on the whole incredibly warm and welcoming. It's a shame the US has not changed its 55yr. old policy of insanity.

I went to Cuba last year (July-August) and dove in Jardines de la Reina, Maria La Gorda and Bay of Pigs. From these three places, Jardines de la Reina was certainly the best, better organised diving and worth of money - good food, excellent service, sharks, and they even have internet in the middle of the mangrove area (we were staying in Tortuga).

I don't recommend Maria La Gorda for just only "diving" - I was not happy with the diving service there. Anyway, my diving review on these three places are available on this page - Diving | indahs: travel story & photography

Hope you will find what you are looking for and enjoy Cuba!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom