What's the Largest Size Wing You Would Ever Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I took pics.

60lb halcyon evolve in both, top one is with a set of al80s, bottom is e8-130s.

Same wing different tanks

Notice how much extra material there is on the al80s. It comes past the back of the tanks a good inch or two.

With the 130s the wing comes even with the back of the tanks.

When diameter goes up by 1, the circumference goes up by 3.14. That's why it matters and why even though the center is at the same point the wing tacos more on the skinnier tanks.

No slide rule required.

A drysuit doesn't loose buoyancy. It stays the same because there's a button on it where you add air to it.

Drysuits lose buoyancy not because water can get in, but because gas can get out.

Shell drysuits are buoyant because of the gas trapped in the suit. This is *WHY* thicker undies results in a more buoyant suit, higher loft = more volume for gas.

The typical drysuit "flood" or leak allows water to intrude into the suit, but as long as the suit can still trap gas floods have near zero impact on suit buoyancy. The exact same phenomena occurs with every BC, use results in water intrusion, but as long as the BC is intact and can trap gas it can provide buoyancy.

OTOH if you rip the corrugated hose off a BC and it cannot trap gas it can provide no buoyancy.

The *Exact* *Same* *Thing* can happen to a Drysuit. A failed neck seal, open or failed zipper or tear in the suit can leave it unable to trap gas, and the suit can loose *all* the buoyancy it started with. Such failures are rare, but far from unknown.

If this occurs the diver will need to replace the buoyancy of their suit with their wing.

It's unwise to confuse the effects of drysuit leak with the impacts of a total failure.

Tobin

Ok I took pics.

60lb halcyon evolve in both, top one is with a set of al80s, bottom is e8-130s.

Same wing different tanks

Notice how much extra material there is on the al80s. It comes past the back of the tanks a good inch or two.

With the 130s the wing comes even with the back of the tanks.

When diameter goes up by 1, the circumference goes up by 3.14. .

Er, uh, well sort of. If we start with two sets of dubs, both using 215 mm manifolds, one using 7.25" al 80's and the other using 8" tanks we are concerned with 1/4 of the circumference of the cylinders, from the point of contact with the plate at 6 o clock, to the vertical at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock (Picture the cylinders horizontal viewed from the base.)

For the 7.25" dia bottles this quadrant (1/4 of the circumference) = ~5.7

For the 8" dia bottles this quadrant = ~ 6.3"

Total additional "Taco" for 8" tanks vs 7.25" tanks is a whopping 0.6" Oh the horror.......

Tobin

Drysuits lose buoyancy not because water can get in, but because gas can get out.

Shell drysuits are buoyant because of the gas trapped in the suit. This is *WHY* thicker undies results in a more buoyant suit, higher loft = more volume for gas.

The typical drysuit "flood" or leak allows water to intrude into the suit, but as long as the suit can still trap gas floods have near zero impact on suit buoyancy. The exact same phenomena occurs with every BC, use results in water intrusion, but as long as the BC is intact and can trap gas it can provide buoyancy.

OTOH if you rip the corrugated hose off a BC and it cannot trap gas it can provide no buoyancy.

The *Exact* *Same* *Thing* can happen to a Drysuit. A failed neck seal, open or failed zipper or tear in the suit can leave it unable to trap gas, and the suit can loose *all* the buoyancy it started with. Such failures are rare, but far from unknown.

If this occurs the diver will need to replace the buoyancy of their suit with their wing.

It's unwise to confuse the effects of drysuit leak with the impacts of a total failure.

Tobin
Tobin, a flooded drysuit will never ever be as negative as a rig without a drysuit wearing diver in it.

Water in water is neutral.

If your wing can float the tanks plate regs light etc without you in it, it can fort you to the surface if your suit is flooded. It can get you to the surface even if you aren't wearing any suit at all even!

Er, uh, well sort of. If we start with two sets of dubs, both using 215 mm manifolds, one using 7.25" al 80's and the other using 8" tanks we are concerned with 1/4 of the circumference of the cylinders, from the point of contact with the plate at 6 o clock, to the vertical at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock (Picture the cylinders horizontal viewed from the base.)

For the 7.25" dia bottles this quadrant (1/4 of the circumference) = ~5.7

For the 8" dia bottles this quadrant = ~ 6.3"

Total additional "Taco" for 8" tanks vs 7.25" tanks is a whopping 0.6" Oh the horror.......

Tobin
Look at the pic dude. It's too darn big.

Tobin, a flooded drysuit will never ever be as negative as a rig without a drysuit wearing diver in it.

Water in water is neutral.

If your wing can float the tanks plate regs light etc without you in it, it can fort you to the surface if your suit is flooded. It can get you to the surface even if you aren't wearing any suit at all even!

Er, ah, why yes, water in water is neutral, but that's not issue here. Gas in water is buoyant. Oddly that's why an intact drysuit is buoyant, it has *GAS* inside the suit.

If you let this gas out the suit loses buoyancy.

One more time, dry suits don't lose buoyancy because water can get in, they lose buoyancy because gas can get out......

Try this: Get neutral, then add some gas to your suit. I'll bet that makes you *more* buoyant.

Then vent some gas from your suit. I'll be that makes you *less* buoyant.

Please explain how this works for more suit operation, but a total failure of the suit, i.e. total loss of all gas in the suit and undies will have no effect.

Tobin

Er, ah, why yes, water in water is neutral, but that's not issue here. Gas in water is buoyant. Oddly that's why an intact drysuit is buoyant, it has *GAS* inside the suit.

If you let this gas out the suit loses buoyancy.

One more time, dry suits don't lose buoyancy because water can get in, they lose buoyancy because gas can get out......

Try this: Get neutral, then add some gas to your suit. I'll bet that makes you *more* buoyant.

Then vent some gas from your suit. I'll be that makes you *less* buoyant.

Please explain how this works for more suit operation, but a total failure of the suit, i.e. total loss of all gas in the suit and undies will have no effect.

Tobin
One more time, I'm saying that the gas in the suit doesn't matter at all of the wing can float the rig without a diver in it.

If I get in the rig with NO SUIT (that's zero trapped gas because there's nothing to trap the gas) the wing will be adequate if there's enough lift to float the tanks without a diver in them.

You're so hung up on the suit. It's irrelevant if the rig can float without a diver in it. If your suit magically vanishes it won't matter.

One more time, I'm saying that the gas in the suit doesn't matter at all of the wing can float the rig without a diver in it.

If I get in the rig with NO SUIT (that's zero trapped gas because there's nothing to trap the gas) the wing will be adequate if there's enough lift to float the tanks without a diver in them.

You're so hung up on the suit. It's irrelevant if the rig can float without a diver in it. If your suit magically vanishes it won't matter.

That assumes 100% of your ballast is on the rig.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom