What's the skinny on Truk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadweeb

Reaction score
My other half (note: I did not say better half. Said "other" half) is going to Truk next month. He's an extremely experienced diver & enjoys challenges. He's not "real hip" on wreck diving however, wants to go to Truk as we've heard nothing but fantastic things about it. (He by the way ISN'T taking me. Something about I have to work - rude isn't it)? Any way - anyone have any stories, tips or "gotta do's" of Truk that I can share with the selfish, mean spirited, cruel man who ISN'T taking me? (I'm not holding a grudge at all)!

Just kidding, I AM excited for him and would like to hear from you all...What say you, scuba Kings & Queens?

I'm in the same boat you are (no pun intended!) My "other half" is going to Truk the end of July for a week of fun on the Odyssey live-a-board! And, I get to stay home and take care of the cat! *sigh...oh well*

Never having been there (HE'S been there twice) I really can't tell you alot about it. Except that its supposed to be wonderful..even for people who aren't "in to" wrecks! The ships actually are more like living reefs...more anemomes and soft coral than you can count! Make sure he takes a camera!

Is he certified to penetrate the wrecks? If not, no big deal. From what I know there is enough to see without going inside. Alot of the wrecks are pretty deep, but not all. What shop is he going through? Or is he doing a live-a-board? I would suggest he get a pony bottle, and a computer that doesn't freak if he goes into deco.

I'll ask my "other half" and see if he need anything else.

Scubadweeb,

I wrote about a trip to Truk in March of this year--look for "Good Luck on Truk" in this section of the Board. It is great diving. Be sure that your other half does his homework because the DM's will take you where they want to go unless you ask for specifics.

I recommend the Fumizuki and the I-169, the only two true warships that can be dived on Truk. Also there is a Betty Bomber and a Zero that can be dived. If you save a 1000 lbs of air in your tank after your second am dive, you can scuba the airplanes--as opposed to snorkling them. I am not a big consumer of air and that was easy for me. Talk with the DM before you start your dives and it can be arranged. Cheney was our DM and helped us plan the dives so we could do what I outlined above.

Truk is great diving.

Joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom