Where to go that is not SE Asia or Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lifebythemile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm looking for some ideas on where I can plan winter trips (Jan or Feb) that work for both me (diving) and the other half. We typically do somewhere in Europe on the Mediterranean since it's cheaper than going somewhere in the US (from west coast Canada). We typically like to rent motorcycles and explore the area, check out scenery, eat lots of local food (1600km on motorcycles in the Algarve over 6 days, day trips from Nice to surrounding area, riding the Costa Brava and based out of Barcelona, type of trip). Beach vacations are not our thing. I've now added diving, something the other half is not into.

So here's my challenge, trying to find a place we can still have our usual fast-paced getaways, and also add in a day or two of diving for me that is in a location that my other half can explore while I'm off diving and not get bored with. We did a week in Malta in mid-Feb and it was fantastic, but we can only do that so many times before we both start to get "bored" of the area above sea-level. Maybe bored isn't the right word, but there's only so much to cover in 308sq.km.

Anyone have any thoughts that is not Mexico, Caribbean, Thailand, Vietnam, or similar?

Cyprus? Stay in Larnaca and you have the fantastic Zenobla wreck on your doorstep. Larnaca is a reasonable place to stay, and there is plenty to explore on the island.

Palau is good in the winter. You can combine it with a Taipei or Manila trip. Or even Micronesia.

Vancouver Island
If I wanted to visit my childhood home, yes. Not quite a "get-away vacation" :p

Seriously though, I have heard multiple times the Sixgill Shark sightings off of Hornby Island are quite spectacular and I do want to spend some time diving up and down the island. Just need to find a way of packing all my kit on the motorcycle, no way I'm paying car prices for the ferries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom