What's the story with Canadian Extreme Dive Equipment Co.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just guessing alkalines can put out gasses which corrode brass some brass is more resistant than others and some stuff that looks like brass like beryliium copper is even better but i cant pretend to know what the ce light uses might also have been just a bad set of batteries or too deeply dischargd really depend on whether others are having this prob how serious it is

but you dont need a new cradel anyway even if it is worlds worse crud brass just tin the contacts like i sugessted before thats the only place thats critical and a little solder usually will do the trick

jonscubas once bubbled...

What do you mean the brass may be wrong? do you know where I can get a replacement tray that would work on this Canadian Extreme?

Does anyone out there have both the Canadian Extreme and the Scout light? I have four of the ce lights for myself and my wife. What is the difference in the battery tray? How has Halcyon done theirs? It sounds like the ce light has some potential problems in this dept. Does tinning the contacts eliminate the problem? Does the scout have the same problem?

Jpndave once bubbled...
Does anyone out there have both the Canadian Extreme and the Scout light? I have four of the ce lights for myself and my wife. What is the difference in the battery tray? How has Halcyon done theirs? It sounds like the ce light has some potential problems in this dept. Does tinning the contacts eliminate the problem? Does the scout have the same problem?

I've got one of each, and though I can't speak to the technical aspects of the battery tray, I can say that the light output of each is indistinguishable on mine.

The CE's battery tray sucks and is more trouble then it's worth to try and salvage it. I tried the tinning, and shortening the brass it helped a bit but not all that well.

I sent it out because I didn't want to throw it away, the light body is nicer and grippier than all the other ones I've seen out there, including Halcyon's. and the double O-Ring feature is great, but looks vs. reliablity doesn't ring here.

It's got to work every time, and be bright.

You could try using an erasure to clean the contacts and some brass cleaner for the tray. Someone told me about that and it cleaned up very nicely.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
You could try using an erasure to clean the contacts and some brass cleaner for the tray. Someone told me about that and it cleaned up very nicely.

Eric

I'm looking for a permanent solution here. If that means ebay and new scouts, so be it. It sounds like that may be the best option. jonscubas, how does the new tray work and what did you have it made of?

GearHead, How does the halcyon compare to the ce? What is the halcyon tray made of?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom