What's your dive accessory pet peeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ohh, I guess that is another one.

Attaching widgets and gadgets and other misc uneeded crap together using zip ties.

I mean seriously, we are going to 60 ft during the day, there is no need for you to carry your million candle power flash light attached to your lion fish stabber with a float in case the re tractor that holds the contraption to you breaks and it floats away...

not an accessory but still annoying . . .

'Elitist your gear sucks mine is the best divers'

Flip side of that - "I know that in this thread six experienced instructors with thousands of dives each have given me some reasons why I shouldn't use my [spare air, air2, retractor, tank banger, whatever], but THIS WORKS FOR ME"

I am having a hard time trying I figure out how to ask questions to this. How do you attach accessories then if you don't like snaps and think cave line is a failure point? How is cave line a failure point? What do you use if not cave line? What type of accessories are you attaching?

Arrrrhhhg Somehow I new this wasn't the end of this. Didn't say I don't use snaps, said don't like them. Don't carry to much as it is. Lights and a finger spool in my pockets, compass is on a retractor, knife around the ankle, wrist slate (crappy velcro), SMB the stupid plastic clip it came with. About the only thing that I have clips on is my camera and reel which I don't carry all the time, and once I unclip them I mostly hold it for the whole dive, and the SMB I haven't had to use yet but at the end of the dive it's no big deal. I currently do not like how I have these being attached and am trying to change the way I have it. As apposed to cave line I try to use split rings or webbing. Also I guess it's just a gut feeling I get about using a line to attach things, can't say for sure because I have never attached something with it (probably never will). I just know that I wouldn't want my $$$$ camera hanging from a line, if it broke and I didn't know it good luck finding it. Geez all this from saying I wanted a little pocket to stick my SPG in instead of tucking it under the waist strap.

Arrrrhhhg Somehow I new this wasn't the end of this. Didn't say I don't use snaps, said don't like them. Don't carry to much as it is. Lights and a finger spool in my pockets, compass is on a retractor, knife around the ankle, wrist slate (crappy velcro), SMB the stupid plastic clip it came with. About the only thing that I have clips on is my camera and reel which I don't carry all the time, and once I unclip them I mostly hold it for the whole dive, and the SMB I haven't had to use yet but at the end of the dive it's no big deal. I currently do not like how I have these being attached and am trying to change the way I have it. As apposed to cave line I try to use split rings or webbing. Also I guess it's just a gut feeling I get about using a line to attach things, can't say for sure because I have never attached something with it (probably never will). I just know that I wouldn't want my $$$$ camera hanging from a line, if it broke and I didn't know it good luck finding it. Geez all this from saying I wanted a little pocket to stick my SPG in instead of tucking it under the waist strap.

I am not trying to give you crap, I am trying to understand your reasoning. I can tell you that cave line is very hard to break on accident. However, I can understand your concerns. I use cave line for everything that I do not want on a break away connection. With regular gear checks you can see if you are getting any fraying in the line. Proper prep of the gear, such as deburring, can alleviate this.

What type of snaps are you using?

What do you not like about how you have things attached?

Crocodile Dundee dive knives crack me up. Though I had big ole one myself back in the day.

Knives that are too small to be of any purpose.

Retractors

Snorkels

Oh, no, you have done it now, next you are going to say something crazy like you prefer to flutter kick.

N

I am not trying to give you crap, I am trying to understand your reasoning. I can tell you that cave line is very hard to break on accident. However, I can understand your concerns. I use cave line for everything that I do not want on a break away connection. With regular gear checks you can see if you are getting any fraying in the line. Proper prep of the gear, such as deburring, can alleviate this.

What type of snaps are you using?

What do you not like about how you have things attached?

Not singling you out, and not pissed, it's just I think your like the third person that has taken issue to my likes and dislikes on this whole crazy thing. DONE (not the thread for this and not hijacking anymore).

Frog kick rocks, just really hard to master with split fins.

I see you are overly sensitive about this subject. And to think, all this simply because I asked why you liked something, hated another, and what you preferred instead. Oh well.

Hmmm more annoying accessories. Dang you guys prettying covered them all. Oh wait. Hawaiian Slings in the hands of people who have no clue.

I think your like the third person that has taken issue to my likes and dislikes on this whole crazy thing. DONE (not the thread for this and not hijacking anymore).

Well, I'm not sure about the term "take issue", but the whole point of this forum is that we discuss things, right?

I don't know if your number of dives is accurate, but if it is, you might want to consider other people's opinions on dive gear when offered - no one is trying to attack anyone here. Of course, you are free to dive however you like, but when your posts are sprinkled with "Arrhhgg", "Geeze", and "DONE", it kind of makes us think that we are annoying you.

Also, if you describe your own gear, that you selected yourself, as "crappy" and "stupid", maybe it's not such a bad thing to try to optimize your kit!

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom