What's your dive accessory pet peeve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim you're my hero! Lol.

Excellent post!

So then you need to define a breaking point. In Ormsby's case the only possible breaking point would have been his belt. Not likely as it would have been under his BC and was now wrapped up in cables as he turned to see what he was snagged on or so it is believed. Had he not used the clips in the first place the cable would never have gotten trapped. Had he had cave line between the clip and d ring he may have been able to cut it. Or the divers that did find him would have been able to with a knife and not had to leave the body to retrieve the bolt cutters. Thus placing them at risk again.

The most common ways of doing things such as using cave line are not just for the divers benefit. That would be an incredibly selfish position to take. The ways suggested of doing things were, as AMS511 said, learned the hard way. And they are not just to benefit you. They are also to benefit the people who have to dive with you and possibly rescue or recover you.

If I have to waste time figuring out how to undo a split ring on someone who is entangled, try to open a trigger snap that has been wrapped up in line or net, or get a pair of bolt or wire cutters to get through a metal to metal point that was not necessary to do I want to know before we even get in the water so I can choose not to dive with that person.

I have not read George's presentation transcripts but I think I am going to now. I adopted the methods I use from reading this board and talking to more experienced divers. I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff I had in the beginning because of pre conceived ideas of how things are done on land applying underwater. Some do. Many do not. Common sense now tells me metal to metal on accessories is no good. Period. Simple works and works well. Not only for me but for the people that have to help if something goes wrong. I use cave line and bolt snaps. I take the time to aquire snaps of the proper construction and size for conditions. And when I'm told by more experienced divers and technical instructors I respect to try something else I listen. Comes with age I guess. Letting others do the experimenting and suffer the headaches while I benefit from their wisdom.

I am still looking at ways of improving my set up. And the primary driver behind it is to simplify it for myself and for those that may have to deal with it in an emergency. Overthinking can kill. There are new products coming out all the time to benefit the diver and make their life easier. More often than not they are solutions looking for a problem that does not exist. And some people are good at creating problems where there was none that now require complicated solutions. All because they don't want to see the simple ones that are tried and proven.

You forgot nylon that's the breaking / cutting point, and if a bolt snap gets wrapped up in netting it too may also may not be able to open if it wrapped up same goes for anything. If you going to and try and nit pick make sure you nit pick everything. Why would you need bolt cutters when a piece of nylon could be simply undone or cut? Why do you leave things out that resolve these issues? Just to prove yourself right? And using a split is only used to make snapping to an accessory possible or easier (sometimes snaps just don't fit the hole). Lets say I removed the split ring then I would be snapping to the accessory if you can not open the snap the how are you going to cut or break that? No you can't break the split ring either which again makes it the same. If you reverse things then you are snapping to a D-ring which also can not be cut or broken. So from what I understand what your telling me to do is have cave line to a snap to more cave line? And that is the only way?

Now since I do not have your book I did a little search to learn a bit more about poor Ormsby. Here is what I found:

In 1985, John Ormsby misjudged his buoyancy plunged nearly 70 feet, from the top to the bottom of the First Class Foyer. He then panicked and swam into electrical cables, becoming so entangled it took divers two days to cut him out. His body was brought to the surface still wrapped in cables.

Now by the sounds of that no matter what snaps he used nor how they were attached was he going to survive. Granted they didn't help. And other sources say it was brought on by his leg became entangled. You make it sound like one snap trapped him there. Still wondering why tec dives like this you don't have a buddy that seems like the biggest danger at hand.

Also in my search I came across an interesting thread here (still reading it) seems like we are all wrong.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...12-actual-deaths-involving-suicide-clips.html

What makes this so silly at this point is that I don't even what to snap something I wanted a pocket to put my SPG in and I said I didn't like using a snap in case it got snagged on something it could pull free.

Can I use a qtip inside my ear or just around the edge?

Do whatever you want. You seem to have all the answers for your diving. I'll listen to those with thousands of hours in the water and decades of experience.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So do you

Seriously??? Face palm!

Just relax use what works, learn from the mistakes. Heed what those with experience know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A post by that on his 2nd day on the direction explorers forum....

And any clip that requires a ball and string to release is a no go, even for this none GUE clown...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

A post by that on his 2nd day on the direction explorers forum....
I had to check which forum we were in. Do we measure experience or insight by days on the direction explorers forum? In any forum? How is that relevant?

Well it also seems that I am also not the only one there are others with experience.

Why bolt-snaps? - DIR Explorers

I am not sure why you are arguing about this... you have something that works for you. Others have offered their perspective, which you always have the option of taking or leaving. There is no "one" way.

What's wrong with bolt snaps? Tie em on with cave line and clip off. If it does get caught a quick stroke with a zip knife or small knife and you are free. Some will even use an oring to tie it to the snap. A good yank will free it.
Even worse are shops that sell non locking carabiners to divers for clipping things off. Otherwise known as suicide clips. I've made a couple students that I did not train initially get rid of them or not use them in my classes.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

just a question but what is wrong with carabiners?

nevermind- i read the rest of the thread.

seams easy enough just to cut your bc if u can get the carabiner off.

I have some cheap alum. ones i was thinking on using. could easily bend them or even break them as they are a softer alum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom