What's your latest departure story from GCM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is an issue of what you're used to. GCM is much easier to deal with than, for example, Miami, but much more of a PITA than Key West. Last time we flew the afternoon American flight I think we had about a 10 minute line to check our bags and about 15-20 minutes in line at security. We blew right by immigration because American is prescreened. (results may not be typical, individual results may vary)

On the other hand, the "departure lounge" absolutely sucks.

We were thinking about leaving the airport Thurs and checking out GCM since we had a 6hr layover but after reading everything above. Could you you guys give me some advice about leaving the airport or not and if so when to get back?
One option that's close by - without luggage you could walk there (4/10ths of a mile): GEORGE TOWN YACHT CLUB | CRUISE IN | EAT | DRINK | RELAX | Outdoor harbor front tables and they do breakfast. It's in the Barcadere Marina.

Capture.jpg

It is an issue of what you're used to. GCM is much easier to deal with than, for example, Miami, but much more of a PITA than Key West. Last time we flew the afternoon American flight I think we had about a 10 minute line to check our bags and about 15-20 minutes in line at security. We blew right by immigration because American is prescreened. (results may not be typical, individual results may vary)

On the other hand, the "departure lounge" absolutely sucks.
Bill, this sounds much more like what we're accustomed to, however, when I look at the Saturday afternoon departures, there are close to a dozen within a 2 hour period. I just don't remember there being that many in the past. We're flying United this time and they only have one flight, so, hopefully, the counter check-in won't be too bad. I just don't want to underestimate security and also don't want to have to deal with the departure "lounge" for a couple of hours without one of those really comfortable seats to recline in. LOL. Thanks!

We just got back from our trip. We used several airlines. Air Canada, Cayman Air, and American. We were there on Thurs and Friday. I can tell you if you arrive at any point during the afternoon, it seemed most flights came in then. We arrived Friday morning about 11:30am. It took about 45 mins to go threw customs. But behind us flights landed and people were lined up for ever behind us. We then went to Cayman Brac and all of the stuff for that was VERY fast and easy. I have to say Cayman Airlines was so easy to work with. We had some flight delay problems on our part and they on charged us $20 each to change days and flight times. Also our bags never made it to GCM with us. Cayman Air took responsibility and had the bags in our hotel room the next day before lunch.
Now as to Sat flights from GCM first the costs were all higher, secondly I was told even by the airport and hotel staff thats the turnover day. They get 3 times the number of flights in and out on Sat than any other day of the week.
If anyone has any other questions please post them and I would be happy to post my 2 cents for you.

My wife took me to Little Cayman for my birthday Sat, Feb 1-Sat, Feb 8. We had to pick up our scuba gear in Boynton Beach so left out of Miami on Cayman Airways. It was an absolute pleasure flying from Miami to Cayman Brac and bypassing Grand Cayman altogether. The flight from Brac to Little Cayman was a cinch with only half a dozen people in the departure area. On the way back, we had to go through Grand Cayman. The ticket area in Grand Cayman was mobbed but everyone was at the major airlines and Cayman Airlines was a breeze. The security line was way out the front door with a roped maze set up. It took 45-60 minutes to get through security. The departure area was completely full with standing room only. They were using the tent areas outside the gates as a holding area to get people out of the departure lounge prior to boarding them. Our departure went fine but it took a long time and was hardly relaxing. Luckily my shields were up to full strength after a wonderful week on Little Cayman and very little could have hurt me.

So...... I have a very nice wife. It's wonderful flying through Cayman Brac rather than Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman can be very crowded and time consuming, perhaps especially on Saturday.

I just got back to SFO tonight at 9 p.m., starting from Little Cayman this morning. The airport on Grand Cayman was certainly busy, but it was all well-organized and things moved smoothly. My biggest hassle was trying to connect to the Wi-Fi hub in the departure lounge.

Bruce

airport-overcrowding-lead-story-image.jpg

This was in the Cayman Compass the other day. Looks like a sardine can.

Yeah, I saw that article the other day Dr. Fish. Same ole, Same ole. They've been threatening to expand the airport for years. Still nothing concrete. We're leaving to go down on Friday. Unfortunately, our return flight is on a Saturday. All one needs to do is look at the Saturday departures online to see what kind of a mess it is every Saturday. I'm not looking forward to that...Airport overcrowding lingers on :: cayCompass.com

Back
Top Bottom