Whats your set up (for UW Photography)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hve done alot of photography on the land and in every instance of being with a group of photogs everybody seems to have a way that they have there cameras setup, from lenses to flashes, to brackets and tripods, but what im wanting to know is how divers have there cameras (Film or dig, im not picky as i use both) set so if you could please show them off.(with strobes, conversion lenses,etc)

i currently dont have a UW set up of my own but i can borrow a MMII with YS 60(film), or a Canon A40(Digi), but wo a strobe.

the underwater setup im looking for to start is going to be the canon A80 with the canon housing that will be released with it at the end of the month, and a S&S YS 90DX (since it has been reccomended on here more then once, and is more compatible to be used for when i upgrade big time to a DSLR for underwater), but depending that may change to a oly C5050 (you never know)

but for land heres whats in my goody bag
Film
Canon EOS 3
Canon Elan 7e
Canon 550 EX Speedlite
50mm F1.4
28-135mm F3.5-4.5 IS
100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS
and a bunch of filters, shades, tripod, etc
and coming soon 28-70L F2.8 ,70-200 L IS F2.8

Digital
Fuji 602z
Canon A40
Canon A80 (like mentioned above later this fall)
and a whole variety of lenses, filters nad accesories, along with the requiste mound of memory cards

Thanks in Advance

Dan

also if some one here who has a S&S YS90DX could you please post a picture of the back of the strobe were the controls for it would be, would be wonderful.

Land -
nikon 2-F5s,2-n90s,8008, canon AE-1.
nikors - 14mm f2.8, 20mm f2.8, 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2.0, 2- 50mm f1.4 f1.2AI, 60mm macro f2.8, 85mm f1.4, 105mm macro f2.8, 300mm f2.8, 600mm f2.8, 17-35mm f2.8, 28-70 f2.8, 80-200mm f2.8, 28-105 f3.5-4.5, 24-120 f 3.5-5.6. plus an assortment of tamron, tokina,sigma lenses.
canon FD - about the same as nikors.

metz 54s for on camera flash.
minolta color meter III.
a lot of studio strobes and hot lights.

fuji S2 digital.

underwater

S&S MMII with oceanbrite tray and arms. all accessory lenses and an ike high eye point finder( best thing made) with masks.
2 ike 200s dual corded and ike 400 and a couple of 50ss, plus a couple of TTL controlers.

ike's houseings for the n90s and fuji - mulitple ports. i use the same strobe set up on the houseing as the MMII.
ike's lightmeter.

there's more, but.........

Land

Nikon F2S 20mm, 24mm, 28mm, 55mm macro, 85mm, 500mm

Sony F717

Nikon Coolpix 995

Various point and shoot Olympus cameras

Water

Olympus C5050 and housing

Oooo....

Land:

Canon EOS 5, Canon 28-135mm IS, Canon 70-210mm USM, Sigma 18mm & 600mm Mirror.

Plus Mamiya RZ67 Pro 110mm 2.8 + lots of bits.... oh and Manfrotto tripod.

Sea:

Just got Oly 5050, looking for housings & strobes (not sure yet?!?), really wish I could find a housing for the RZ67 :)

Dirk.

PS Only kidding about the RZ67 .....

I just got the C-5050 and don't have a housing yet but here's some pictures of my C-4040 rig. I'll stick with a similar designed tray for the 5050. One addition since this picture was taken is I extended the length of the strobe arm to about 20".

Oly PT-10, Fisheye tray
aai.jpg

I won't change lenses underwater without one of gbundersea's Save-A-Lens security systems on my camera and lens. He's recently made this Digital Lens Dock which give me the perfect safe place to keep my wide angle lens when I'm not using it on the camera. As you can see, the S-A-L system has been incorporated into the lend dock.
aaj.jpg

aak.jpg

Land:
Nikon F80 and F65. SB-28 Strobe. Nikkor 28-80G, 70-300G, 50 1.8f D, 28 2.8f D, 85 1.8f D.

Underwater:
Canon S45 with Canon WP-DC300 housing and Sea&Sea YS-25DX strobe.

Steve

Cp 5000 with 19mm wide angle lenses, Aquatica housing, dome port and a mix of Ikelite strobes (DS 50 and 100 are my favourites), with ttl slave on fill strobe. Primary strobe is hard wired to camera. Ultra lite arms and tray.

this is a scuba forum.

My main rig is a Nikonos III with a 15mm Nikonos lense and ikelite substrobe 225. I use an ikelite tray and long arm system because I mainly shoot in South Florida and you want to get that strobe away from the camera and at a good angle to avoid backscatter.

Secondary rig is a Nikonos III with a 35mm lense and the sea and sea screw on 16mm adapter. I carry a close up lense and modeling light framer in/on my BC. That way I have 35mm, 16mm, and close up available on the same dive. The sea and sea adapter takes excellent pictures but lacks the speed and close focus of the 15mm Nikonos.

I use a Nikonos V with 35 or 28mm lenses and various extension tubes and framers with an ikelite substrobe mv for macro.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom