When Are You too Sick to Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . I feel muzzy-headed, as I often do when viremic at the beginning of an illness.

Oooh! :clapping: So THAT is what it's called! :D

I grew up in the midwest, not close to an ocean at all. I have only dove in a quarry twice. It is not for me.

I travel a lot for work and take every opportunity to dive in the worlds oceans, like Fernando de Noronha, Brazil.

If I feel any congestion in my nasal passages or even a twinge in my ears, I do not dive.

Safe diving.

I once did a dive when I suspected that I had a cold coming on, but wasn't sure. By the end of the dive, I felt awful and spent the rest of the day shivering asleep in the car. My dive buddy said he was actually somewhat concerned that I might need a ride to a professional. Anyway, now if it even occurs to me, I (try to think that I would) sit out the dive.

Reactions: Jax
When I've done dives I've secretly wanted to skip, it's always been at the beginning of a cold, and I've always had to suffer the consequences of doing those dives later when my cold became much more severe and long-lasting than I would otherwise have expected. I often get customers who have traveled half a world to come do a course with me or dive with me, so when their vacation time is tight and I'm a little under the weather, I sometimes dive anyway as long as I decide I can do so without jeopardizing their safety or mine. If I'm sick enough that I really can't do the dive safely, the customers' needs have to be subordinated to safety, but I have to admit that I try hard not to have to disappoint them.

One time, for example, I had a nice couple from Australia doing their AOW the two days before their LOB trip. I was feeling tired and had a bit of a scratchy throat, but I did the Nav and Night dives with them in the afternoon/evening anyway, and had three dives booked on a boat the next day to finish up. I woke up the second day knowing I was going to be sorry, but I really felt I had to dive--it was too late to find a sub, and these divers had to get on their LOB on the third day--we were out of time! I managed two of the three dives from the boat, but was 100% blocked and could no longer clear after the second dive. Fortunately we were doing a module that I could supervise indirectly, and one of my colleagues took my divers down with his group. I was sick for two whole weeks after that and had to reschedule a bunch of people!

Great advice all around. I usually go by the ' If it don't feel right, don't do it. ' rule. I should have followed that rule this weekend, when I thought i was over a cold. Did one dive on Saturday that normally isn't difficult, and found myself breathing harder and sucking air more than usual. I should have listened to my inner self, but really wanted to dive. Now I'm going to wait until I feel 100% before trying it again. Lesson learned.

I dove in Monterey about a month ago when I was getting over a cold. I didn't feel like I had less energy than usual and felt normal other than mild sniffles in the morning, so I thought I was sufficiently well to dive. Midway through the first dive, though, I felt this weird pressure around or in my eyeball. I noticed that it got worse with a minor depth change, so signaled to my buddy that I needed to ascend. After a few seconds it mysteriously cleared, and I cancelled the ascent and we finished the dive. I didn't feel the pressure again for the rest of the dive, and I felt fine on land.

Immediately on descent for the second dive, though, my eye felt heavily pressured again. I was only a few feet deep, and I instantly stopped the dive.

On reflection, it must have been a sinus blockage right around my eye. I didn't know what it was at the time because I'd never felt anything like it; I've had sinus pain before, but never in that area, and I didn't feel congested, so it wasn't immediately obvious. It felt incredibly weird.

As well as all the above reasons, I would never Dive with an open wound ( I dive wet).

I agree with this completly.
When I was due to sit my OW I had to postpone it for another month because I got a cold. I was so dissapointed, I was looking foward to it so much.
But Im glad I decided to wait. When I finaly did do the corse I was able to concentrate fully on all the new skills I had to learn and make the most of it. It was great!

Puked all through the IE, just seasickness though, nothing major as long as you pay special attention to hydration and caloric intake. Congestion can ruin a dive much faster than an upset stomach though, any decongestants you take could wear out during the dive, making for a very painful ascent. Basically if I've any doubts about how I feel I thumb the dive and opt to freedive from the boat instead, as others have pointed out the water won't be going anywhere quick, you can always dive another day.

For me it's a) when I can't focus, b) when I can't equalize, or c) if I'll be a liability to my team or self.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom