When NOT to go diving.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SheilaRee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
When the weather above you looks like this........ IMG_7925_1_1_1_1.JPG

you may not want to go diving!

Do those pass quickly?
I'm thinking they do?

They do pass quickly, but it can really ruin a dive... :wink:

I love the Keys... however, the one downside is the unpredictability of the weather... I was down there a couple of weeks ago, when they were predicting scattered storms every day, with 70% probability. We had sunny skies every day, with a small popcorn storm that last 15 minutes at 5:00pm... Then you can have three days in a row where the weather blows off the dives continually, especially this time of year, during the "rainy" season... Still, one of my favorite places to dive, with everything it offers...

Well, I guess I could have made an unplanned SI in Cuba, but I passed on this one.

The one in Cayman looks a little scarier, especially since there were divers in the water. We had just gotten back on the boat and no one else was around, except the other boat that was skeedaddling out of there in the picture.

My brother lives down there, living the life, so I will get plenty of chances to go back. Before I got there tho, they had had an 8-month drought. I heard a Keys rumor that the weather is always excellent the week before you went. Seems like it is true.....

Looe key is awesome, tho. I'll definitely try again. Didn't get the chance to do American Shoals (funnel cloud) but will try that again, as well.

Do those pass quickly?
I'm thinking they do?
No worries. Been here since '76. Never an issue. (but some of my friends like to chase them.)

My life must be charmed. I started diving the Upper Keys monthly about five years ago with a one-years hiatis because of health problems. In all that time I only missed two days of diving. I check the ten-day forecasts for storms and winds a week before heading out. Several times it called for heavy seas where my usual and favorite dive shop decided to not go out or some of the other divers cancelled and there weren't enough left to make a trip. On these rare occassions I made a call to another shop up at Tavernier who did go out. On both of these trips out to the wrecks the seas were only doing about an 18-24 inch chop. You never can be sure around the Upper Keys what will be served up but most of the time you will be able to go out unless it's really bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom