When to Double?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll chime in here by saying that I don't think you need formal training for using doubles. There's nothing to it, just don't go deeper or stay longer than you're absolutley comfortable with and don't be too over-weighted. There's plenty of reading on the net about doubles.

My two cents.

Mike

But since using doubles means "new" equipment (new to the diver that is), wouldn't some form of formal instruction makes sense? Such as "this is a manifold, and this is how it is used properly and safely" sort of thing?

I realize you're saying there is no actual c-card for it, but I'd be more comfortable with an qualified instructor ensuring that I know the ins/outs and how to handle related emergencies.

Certainly do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I am comfortable reading about stuff and going out and doing it. Just take it easy.

Mike

Hey TM and all,

BTW, you can tell someone new at doubles (or who just plain doesn't care) by the way they carry them... by the manifold. NEVER pick those heavy tanks up by that delicate manifold! YOU WILL have a leak eventually and you WILL bend the durn thing. Grab BOTH tank valves to move them around. Don't be afraid to yell at your air fill station for being lazy about this.

Make sure your bands are TIGHT, and never hesitate to adjust them up or down to make your tanks ride right on your BC. You can really affect your attitude in the water this way (and I ain't talking 'bout your mental attitude either, Chester). Play around with them till you are comfortable. BTW, the magic number is 11" between bolts. That seems to fit every manufacturer of BC I have run across.

Tank valves do NOT affect pressure in the manifold. There is always pressure in the manifold, and all the isolation valve controls is whether the two tank's volumes of gas are connected. Your tanks MUST be empty before your remove the manifold. PLEASE replace the connection O-Rings when you do. They are cheap and you are worth it.

That would be my primer to you about doubles... Guys n' Gals, did I miss anything here??? Speak up now!

Oh yeah… biggest point and I almost forgot it… "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey…" Open up all valves all the way (to the stop, Chester) and then just crack it back a tad. You don’t need to go a quarter or half turn… just get the valve from being all the way against the stop so it's "loose". That way you can always tell if it’s opened or not just by the feel… Tight??? Then it’s closed! Loose??? Then it’s open! I learned this from when I had to deal with tons of high pressure cylinders when I worked for the University of Florida’s Department of Chemistry Cryogenic Research Lab. I think I was even an OSHA certified compressed gas handler at one time. That was eons ago, and I can’t remember how formal the certification was, but I remember the classes and their rules.

One more thing...don't let a moronic dive charter operator touch your valves. I had one turn my isolator off, thus I was only using one tank until I noticed my pressure guage wasn't moving.

Mike

the "magic number" 11 is CENTER TO CENTER. If it is not
you'll be moving bands or drilling holes: and drilling
holes in hard SS is not quick or easy.

I don't recall it mentioned but even if it was, it bears
repeating because it is important: YOU MUST BE ABLE TO REACH THE VALVES WITH THE RIG ON YOUR BACK !!! there have been drownings due to the wearer being unable to turn the gas on when they fell in with the rig on their back and the valves were off.

I would also like to emphasize what "Lost Yooper" mentioned:
always, always, always CHECK THE VALVES JUST BEFORE YOU
ROLL OFF OR JUMP IN. I too had a charter boat futz with
my gear. Worse than the isolator was they turned the valves
off !!! I discovered it when I was prepping to do my second
dive and I checked the valves. Needless to say I was a bit
irritated.

Hey all...

For what it's worth ALL dimensions concerning bolts are "center to center". But it is easier to measure top to top, or bottom to bottom, as you don't have to guess just where that "mythical" center spot is.
:p

Frog,
I use steel 85's (doubled) and single steel 95's with "H" valves for "tech" - I dive single AL 80's or steel 72's for "rec."
This weekend, I'll be caving with three others - I and one other guy are using double steel 85's, another double steel 95's, and the fourth double AL 80's.
Does that help?
Rick

Cool Rick. I am sure that alot of people use the smaller tanks in the US too its just that iv never seen anyone diving doubles with anything bigger than twin 12's , it made me think. I know of people that use twin 15's but thats absolute maximum. i just couldnt imagine someone using an 18-19 litre tank as a single , never mind as doubles lol.

When running double tanks, are you running twin reg. sets (one set for each tank) and switching regulators when one tank runs dry, or are the tanks linked together with a crossover?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom