When to have gear serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awap:
For the most part, scuba gear warranties cost more than they are worth.

However, the parts for life programs make sense if you are going to service your gear annually anyway.

I service my regs when inspection or performance indicate it is needed. I probably run 3 to 5 years between a full service. I have little use for warranties or parts for life programs.

agreed, warranties for scuba gear is like buying an extended warranty for a car; put the money you would pay for the warranty in an investment account and self insure your own gear.

underwasser bolt:
agreed, warranties for scuba gear is like buying an extended warranty for a car; put the money you would pay for the warranty in an investment account and self insure your own gear.

It isn't a warranty you pay for. When you buy your gear you have X many days to register your gear for the company's "warranty". If you don't service, for example your regulator every year, then your warranty is not valid. That's what I mean by warranty.

Andi311:
It isn't a warranty you pay for. When you buy your gear you have X many days to register your gear for the company's "warranty". If you don't service, for example your regulator every year, then your warranty is not valid. That's what I mean by warranty.

You are paying for a mfgr warranty. It just does not show up as a seperate item on the receipt. The only difference between that $500 dollar regulator from Leisurepro and that same regulator for $750 at your LDS is the mfgr warrenty. And then you pay another installment each year of about $75 to maintain the warranty. Depending on how well you care for your gear, a grey market reg could cost you more, but is likely to cost you less annually if you only have it serviced when needed.

BTW, I don't believe it is legal to in the USA to make a warranty contingent on a product regristration. But it is not illegal to say it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom