when to lube o-ring for camera case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that it really depends on the housing. For a point and shoot I use a Casio and case and lube it very infrequently. My DSLR is a Nikon in a Subal housing with Ikelite strobes.

The Subal o-rings come out after each trip, and are very lightly lubed at the end of each day's shoot. Subal and others have said to store the o-rings off the housing so they do not develop a "flat" side. You also want to apply lubrication just prior to your dive, as grease attracts dirt more easily.

The process Miketsp describes above works fine for my point and shoot, but would be a disaster for my Subal housing and ports.

Good Luck,

Dan

Lube is not a seal and will not stop water under pressure! It is what it says a lubricant
and is only used to keep the O-ring material soft and supple! You clean your O-ring to remove dirt and debris, like sand, coral, or worse a human hair! If your O-ring is cracked or flattened replace it before you dive! The most you need is a small amount on your finger to rub on the ring as you draw it through your fingers! Once it is shinny, smooth, clean, and supple make sure it fits in the seat or grove. It is the pressure that makes O-rings work not the Lube or the ring as you see it. It is made to smash into place thus the need to be playable! Hope this helps!

I lube all the O-rings on my Ikelite housing and strobes actually, every time I open it. As others have said, the lube function is to let the O-ring slide so it doesn't kink. I also lube the o-rings on the sync cords at the beginning and end of each trip. It might be over-kill for some but I've seen flooded housings ruin trips and credit card statements...

Back
Top Bottom