When would one choose Double AL80s over Double Steel 80s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless you're a 4' tall cave diver, there's no reason to ever get HP80's. And even then, I'd argue that an LP50 is a better thank. So, to answer your question....

HP80's suck in every way conceivable. :)

I have a set of double 72's. I have been looking for a set of double HP Worthington 100 -130's in my price range for longer dives but I have a bunch of AL80 lying around and was just kicking over the idea. I think I should have said LP85 vs HP80 as i was looking as a comparison answer but I appreciate all the great answers. Actually got a lot more info then I expected and I really appreciate it.

clook out for some of the PST LP104's, they usually show up from time to time for decent prices. If you have a set of double 72's there's no good reason to ever dive AL80's unfortunately, leave them for stage/deco bottles, or for loaning out to buddies

Unless you're a 4' tall cave diver, there's no reason to ever get HP80's. And even then, I'd argue that an LP50 is a better thank. So, to answer your question....

HP80's suck in every way conceivable. :)
Not true, an hp80 is great as an argon transfill tank.

I've been diving with a friend who is using double HP80s, and in addition to presenting an interesting challenge to balance those negative tanks high up on his shoulders, there is also the problem that the tanks are so short that a standard doubles wing folds up around the bottom of them, making the wing EXTREMELY hard to vent.

For roughly equivalent gas volumes, I'd take LP85s in cold water, and Al80s in warm.

That means you will need redundant buoyancy, either in the form of a dual bladder wing (which many people refuse to use), two wings stacked (again, not what some people like to do), or a dry suit.

Why do people not like dual bladder wings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do people not like dual bladder wings?

Popcorn....

they're expensive, irritating to use, and limit max inflation of the original wing. Best to carry a 50lb lift bag and use that if you had to. Lots of threads on them

as they used to say in the Bud Lite commercials: "Here We Go"......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom