Where are good spots for snorkeling/diving around Two Harbors, Catalina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darsunt

Registered
Reaction score
We will be staying a few days at Two Harbors, Catalina Island. While we are there why not check out the snorkeling/diving spots? It's too cold now (December) but we may come back later. Have any of you done any diving/snorkeling here? I here the waters around there are really nice.

Thanks

I've never done it, but I hear you can rent a kayak and cruise to some locations just outside of Two Harbors. Some ppl put their scuba gear on their kayak and paddle to the destination (wing fully inflated as you wouldn't want to have it fall over and sink...maybe even remove the ditchable weight). Here are some locations just outside of Two Harbors, with very approximate distances. Others pls feel free to correct these approximations:

Isthmus: 0.25 miles (probably the best bet as it is covered in life and structure and ranges from 6ft to 90ft in depth)
Bird Rock: 0.50 miles
Ship Rock: 1.00 miles
Eagle Reef: 1.25 miles
Sea Fan Grotto: 1.5 miles
Rock Quarry: 1.75 miles

EDIT: I should add that you should be cautious in these areas, especially Isthmus and Bird Rock, as boats cruise through this channel all the time. Bring an SMB and be ready to deploy.

If you're looking out to the water, you can swim around the right side of the bay (towards fisherman's cove) for some decent snorkeling. You could even walk along the small cliff most of the way there and then carefully jump in the water (have tough feet or bring watershoes/flipflops though). There's a little cliff jump as you start the walk...

People snorkel on the left side of the harbor too, but I haven't done it yet. There's also a dive shop there but I'm not sure what the options are if you don't have a kayak to cover distance and stay safe with boat traffic.

Have fun!

Excellent snorkeling around the Harbor Reefs marker. The water there is very shallow, and there's a very nice kelp bed on the northern side. Also great snorkeling along the shallow shelf that extends northwest of Bird Rock.

snorkel_spots.jpg

Both are a bit far to swim, but are kayak-able distances from the pier at Two Harbors. You can rent kayaks from the activity center at the foot of the pier. Make sure your kayak has a rope, then you can tie it off to a piece of kelp while you snorkel.

And finally, the reef on the south side of Ship Rock is an awesome snorkel. Although Ship Rock is a bit too far from the harbor to get there without a "real" boat.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2013 at 05:29 PM ----------

BTW, the above are all great dive sites as well.

Bopper hit the best of the bunch IMHO but I'd add Blue Cavern and the Quarry... you can't anchor a boat at Blue Cavern though

Thanks for the info. We will do some kayaking and check out some of those spots.
When we were kayaking in the channel islands last winter, I went into the water. Boy that was the coldest I've ever been in my life!
I've noticed the USC Wrigley center for environmental studies is nearby. Do they have any exhibits for visitors?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom