Where are these Regs made?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who really cares where they are made? If it works and breathes well I could care less if it's made here or in Taiwan. The statement that something is junk becasue it's made there is one of the dumbest things I've heard. The engineering specs are the same, the materials required have to meet certain standards whether they are made here or there. And for that matter I'd rather have it built by someone with the education they get there than the average HS graduate in the US that can barely read and write.

Well sorry to disagree but all countries have a Quality Control Dept to ensure the manufactures items meet the applicable codes, specifications and regulations, this all being good but some countries seem to be more unscrupulous than others when monitoring this procedure.

Well sorry to disagree but all countries have a Quality Control Dept to ensure the manufactures items meet the applicable codes, specifications and regulations, this all being good but some countries seem to be more unscrupulous than others when monitoring this procedure.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the country, it has to do with the individual factory. Saying something is crap because it's made in China is just as wrong as saying something is ultra high quality because it's made in North America.

And that is why it's not the countries monitoring the procedures. The companies that outsource the work to them monitor the procedures and if there is a problem they take action to correct it. I don't know of any country that has a Quality Control Dept for manufacturing. Unless it was the old soviet union. Or for gov't contracts, and even then any one who knows anything about manufacturing knows they outsource the quality control to private companies via contracts.

Oh wait maybe there is. I think I saw one right next to the "Ministry of Silly Walks."

Well guys not going to get in a pissing match but you are so mis informed its ridiculous, I manage a company that manufactures pressure vessels that are shipped world wide we have our own QC dept that insures we adhere strictly to ASME Sect VIII Div 1 requirements, but it all comes down to QC Manager and his Inspectors whom work for my company, final witnessing of hydrotest and documentation is the responsibility TSSA ( Govt agency for Ontario)but they cannot be there 100% of the time during the fabrication process this is entrusted to our own QC dept.

And sorry to say more crap comes out of China than say Europe, US and Canada for many reasons one of them being consequences which are much more serious than in the US or Canada so many times when a discrepancy is found in China Taiwan there is a cover up, that right out of the mouth of a audit team leader I spoke too whom had just returned from China.

So to sum up dumbest thing I think not, debatable yes, and having said that to each his own you suck on your Chinese made reg I suck on my UK, US made reg.

For your information see attached link these flanges where supposed to be manufactured in accordance with ASME requirements that go through a stringent inspection process by Govt and company

Shell Chemical plant struggling with substandard Chinese parts

Oh I am sure you can find some examples of this kind of thing in the US or Canada but not so common

I doubt that there is ANY reg manufacturer domestic or foreign that does not buy some of its regulator parts from some outside source and i am not talking about springs, hoses, o rings, and screws either. It is not always economically feasible to have your own NC machines, plating tanks, plastic injection molding machines, etc. If they had to have all that stuff the prices would be much higher than they already are. Final assembly and test is most likely done at the brand's facility. If the volume gets high enough, reg manufacturers could buy a completed ist stage from one source and the 2nd stage from another both to their specs and do the final minor assy based upon models at their facility. Labor costs,taxes, import regulations, etc would all play a part in this.

I doubt that there is ANY reg manufacturer domestic or foreign that does not buy some of its regulator parts from some outside source and i am not talking about springs, hoses, o rings, and screws either. It is not always economically feasible to have your own NC machines, plating tanks, plastic injection molding machines, etc. If they had to have all that stuff the prices would be much higher than they already are. Final assembly and test is most likely done at the brand's facility. If the volume gets high enough, reg manufacturers could buy a completed ist stage from one source and the 2nd stage from another both to their specs and do the final minor assy based upon models at their facility. Labor costs,taxes, import regulations, etc would all play a part in this.

Never denied many of the parts could be manufactured in other countries and assembled in another country? For example Apeks could have some parts manufactured in Sweden other parts in Germany and France assembled at their factory in Bolton UK.

Kind of like the previous link stated in post 36, but one of the reasons we are not allowed to use flanges manufactured in China for our pressure vessels fabricated at our plant in Ontario, Canada for the oil and gas industry, but we can use flanges manufactured in the US.

No, Apeks do their own design, R&D, QC, & manufacture everything apart from O rings & the like at their factory in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

No, Apeks do their own design, R&D, QC, & manufacture everything apart from O rings & the like at their factory in Blackburn, Lancashire, UK.

That's why I dive Apeks XTX 200's :) was just making an example and was not 100% sure all their parts were manufactured in the UK but now you confirmed what I thought :D

I guess for me it does matter where my life support was manufactured as I would rather entrust my life to Canadian, US or European made, as opposed to China, or Taiwan, but hey to each his own I guess I'm just old fashioned ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom