Where can I stow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griff..

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Guys, Just wondering where you stow your shears when "Tech" diving on doubles, harness etc..

Also - when diving with a full pocket, apart from the option of getting another pocket, does anyone have any suggestions where to put a spare mask?
Also, SMB if not in pockets?

Basically I'm looking for not in pocket ideas

Cheers
James

Last edited:
Griff,

I feel like you really did not mention what your current configuration (pertaining to pockets) is, but since you mention "one pocket", I will assume you have a wetsuit or drysuit with one leg pocket attached.

I store my shears in the left leg pocket of my drysuit, secured with a bolt snap to a loop of bungee cord in the pocket. My spare mask and hand spool also occupy this pocket.

When I quit using traditional BCDs in favor of a backplate/wing/harness configuration, I did not own a wetsuit or drysuit with pockets on the legs. My first approach to dealing with this issue was to purchase a pocket made by Dive-Rite.

SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Bellows Velcro Pocket w/Daisy Chain

This pocket worked OK for me until I started diving doubles. The instructor I took my first few tech classes with did not care for me having said pocket on the waist belt of my harness, and it did not hold everything I felt like I should be carrying on a deep decompression dive, so I purchased a pair of x-shorts. I still use them while diving my spare drysuit (with no pockets), and I prefer the x-pockets on those shorts to those installed on the tech skin of my White's Fusion suit.

If you do not wish to attach another pocket to your harness, which could hold both your mask and shears, you should be able to find a sheath for the shears, and put them on your harness if you have the space available. The SMB(rigged to a hand spool if desired) can easily be clipped to your left hip d-ring or the rear d-ring of your crotch strap, if you use one.

Safe Diving!!!

Hi Txapache..

Actually my issue at the moment is almost identical to the state you were in..
I own a dive rite thigh pocket that I clip around my thigh and too my waist band and feel that I cannot quite carry everything I should be carrying, it is adequate for what I am currently doing - but I want to progress further and feel like I need some more storage space.. I am trying to delay buying XS-Shorts, Which I will be purchasing when I need it, but for now, if I could free up some space - I.E Moving my SMB and shears, that would be great.

I am also not currently carrying a spare mask and do not have room in the pocket for it..
So its more of a temporary solution for now

Cheers

You could find or make a sheath for your shears and mount it on the left waist band, so the buckle keeps it from sliding off.
Tie bungee on the side holes of your backplate (bottom right or left) and slip the SMB through that. For your reel/spool you can clip that off to the side holes or have it attached to your SMB. Either way have some bungee to snug it up to the backplate.

what about if you put your shears in a holster type holder on your waist belt?

omsumps.jpg
This is what I have installed on my GF Express tech (mine is the SP Tec that I also use on my Express tech and SS BP/Wg). It is a double compartments pouch that sits smack center the waist belt of my BP, in fact stradling my crotch strap. In the front compartment, I store my utility knife and a small flashlight. In the main one (on top), you could store a spare mask if you wanted to but that's what I use to store my 50lbs lift bag). Mine are the 10 in wide versions and are low profile.

I prefer the x-pockets on those shorts to those installed on the tech skin of my White's Fusion suit.
Ha! In many ways I feel the same way. My first choice is always going to be two mounted pockets on my drysuit and if my wetsuit wasn't a multi use suit it would have glued on pockets, but I use X-shorts. Shears are stored in my right pocket with a double ender, along with wet notes and a spare mask. Left pocket has SMB attached to spool, a storm whistle, and signal mirror.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom