Where did I go with my force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi...yes, that is the most dives that I have logged in such a short time. I was on a live aboard boat, so that made it easy.
Going to Cozumel for a week tonight, so hopefully I can get in a few more along with some free dive/snorkel testing as well...

-Matt

Have fun in Cozumel! I am curious to hear more about diving there. From what I have heard all the boat dives are drift dives.

Yesterday I went diving with my new buddy Kriss (at last another female diver who lives locally!) to the same site I went diving with Sambolino the day before: Langley Marina.

Kriss is a new diver who got certified last June. On land she has such enthusiasm for scubadiving that it is almost overwhelming and underwater is an unstoppable driving force who wishes that her gas supply were endless as I used to wish when I began scubadiving two years ago!

After assembling our gear at the parking lot of the marina we began to deal with our dry suits. I was ready to wear my hood and the BC when Kriss looked at me shaking her head slightly and told me with a tone of voice that revealed a hint of disappointment that she had had forgotten her fins at home! How familiar did that tale sound!

Unfortunately we were in bad luck because I hadn't bring my spare fins as I usually do! Without any hesitation I was ready to abort the dive...but Kriss no! She looked at my Flying Force fins with intense interest...Then the possibility of sharing that pair of fins between us crossed first her mind and then mine. She tried one and its size turned out to be right. So we discussed further the idea of diving with just one fin each! And I thought that I was a scuba nut!

Her scuba enthusiasm was so contagious that the curiosity to experience what diving with one fin was like took over me. After all I had seen fish without tail fins that managed OK in the water! We agreed on not getting deeper than about 20 ft and swim-crawl not further than the pilings of the dock. We felt confident that it was not a big deal after all and went head to put the rest of your gear on.

As expected, swimming with one fin was odd at first. However it made me more aware of how my body was moving in the water and the buoyancy felt different somehow. I decided to be slightly negative because I was worried that if I had let more air inside the suit I would have increased the risk of getting my buoyancy out of balance. Swimming down while heading to the surface with one fin would have probably been much harder, I thought. After a while I got used to feel my left foot heavier than my right one. I could swim with just one fin and back-kick too!

The visibility was as poor as the day before (about 3-5 ft). We swam-crawl close together, checked each other regularly and everything went fine. In 95 minutes we were able to inspect almost every single blade of eel grass and crevices between the rocks and pilings of the dock that were teemed with life. However by the time we were diving all the crab enthusiasts were gone but the waste that they left behind after a day of frantic crabbing was still there. Crabs shells were scattered all over the place and good size crabs were lying on the bottom dead. For some reasons they did not make it to those folks’ kitchens. At the end of the dive the woman who had lost her small crab pot the day before showed up out of the blue and asked me if I had found it. I told her that I had and left it on one of the tables in the parking lot. It turned out that it was not there anymore!

While driving back home I asked Kriss what she thought about the Flying Force Fin. She felt that kicking with that one fin was different from what she was used to. However she added that once her buoyancy was under control she could propel herself forward and maneuver by moving her foot only. She also expressed interest in trying my spare pair in the future.

Raddog,
It was great meeting you and hearing about your response to your Force Fins. I appreciate the photo as well. That was a first - a guy ( you ) calls me up and asks about Force Fins and if he can stop by to pick up a pair, then proceeds to go out in my front yard and dive the Northern Channel Islands in them. Sounds like a good trip and confirmation you are using the right fins for your diving activity. Keep us posted.

Soakedlontra,
The photos and dive logs are adventures we always look forward to. Thanks again for observations , communication and creative energy.

Raddog,
It was great meeting you and hearing about your response to your Force Fins. I appreciate the photo as well. That was a first - a guy ( you ) calls me up and asks about Force Fins and if he can stop by to pick up a pair, then proceeds to go out in my front yard and dive the Northern Channel Islands in them. Sounds like a good trip and confirmation you are using the right fins for your diving activity. Keep us posted.

Soakedlontra,
The photos and dive logs are adventures we always look forward to. Thanks again for observations , communication and creative energy.

The 'Thanks' button doesn't seem to be working!:confused:

Anyway:Thank you Blair!:)

Today is my birthday and I feel restless!:bounce:

I began my B. celebration yesterday with an awesome dive at a steep and deep clay wall called Possession Point Fingers (the site that deserves the status of Marine Preserve). The video below is about this dive. I could not keep my fingers steady this morning so I edited several video clips together with just the ambient sounds.

[vimeo]14366208[/vimeo]

This evening I will be doing my Birthday Dive at Driftwood Beach Park drifting away with the current. I don't know whether the conditions are going to be suitable to cut a cake underwater or not...

I wish
Happy Birthday! to whomever on the board was born on August 23rd like me!:cheerleader:
[/CENTER]

Last edited:
The vimeo test did not work!:depressed:

I kept trying to make it work but failed. This is beyond me now. The only option left is to contact Vimeo Technical Support... Not now though because I am already late and I would like to bake my b. cake. So let's let it go! (Something that can be quite hard for a darn Virgo like me!)

[vimeo]14366208[/vimeo]

Gosh! It's working now!:D:cheers:

Last edited:
Soakedlontra,
Happy New Year & Happy Birthday! What a wonderful way to spend the day! Great diving! Buon compleanno! Thanks again for sharing your creations and your day.

I will be taking my Force Fin Pros on my upcoming cruise to the southern Caribbean. I know I will be diving in Dominica. Now I have to decide on either a wreck in Tortola or reefs in St. Kitts, or maybe both.

I will be taking my Force Fin Pros on my upcoming cruise to the southern Caribbean. I know I will be diving in Dominica. Now I have to decide on either a wreck in Tortola or reefs in St. Kitts, or maybe both.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on those dive sites because I have never dived there. When I went diving in tropical waters for the first time I was really curious to visit one of those huge wrecks that I often saw in diving magazine. I do not usually do big wreck diving at home because to reach them I have to take a boat which is rather expensive on this neck of the woods. When I was in Honduras I did plenty of dives at the coral reef so I dedicated two dives to explore wrecks. One day there were divers on the boat from a cruise ship. It seemed to me that they had limited time and could do a couple of dives before heading back to the ship. If you have the choice I would do both. :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom