Where did I go with my force fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The black seahorse was about 4-5 inches long - the other one, less than an inch.

The other day I was surprised to hear from a member of Club Sub Citta' di Lucca that it is still possible to see sea horses off the coast of Tuscany...I am wondering if I am going to get lucky too...:wink:

These are some Pictures from Bunaken National Park Manado,..taken using my canon pocket camera, no strobe,...

Full sets can be found in Bunaken-Jun2011 Highlights | Facebook

The diving was fun!! lots of healthy corals, fishes, eels, nudibranches, turtles, viz was 130ft+ in some spots, one of my favorite dive spot in Indonesia.

Me and My Wife
SamMonica.jpg

Giant Clams
IMG_1944.jpg

Green Turtle
IMG_1949.jpg

Green Turtle
IMG_1952.jpg

NudiBranch
IMG_2038.jpg

Seahorse
IMG_2150.jpg

Hairy Frog Fish
IMG_2188.jpg

TN Traveler and xeon-intel - thanks for sharing your photos. Force Fins and tropical diving is good for the mind , body and spirit. Keep diving smart, keep diving safe, keep diving Force Fin!

Time lazily flows at my sister’s house on the hills above Lucca. During the day, under the Mediterranean sun, I enjoy listening to songbirds that keep hiding among the silvery leaves of olive trees. At night, suspended in the cozy early summer air, the pulsing lights of fireflies, crickets’ songs and screeches of owls entertain me until bedtime. On these hills, I experience a world of natural tranquility and harmony that is miles away from the unbelievably chaotic traffic jams of the city lying in the valley below.

However, a thought has begun to alter this bucolic peacefulness: my scuba gear has been been sitting idle in a corner of my room at the mercy of Tuscan spiders for weeks. Have I dragged all that weight from the other side of the world to give shelter to some Italian bugs? Of course not!

This trip to Italy has been characterized by improvising things at the last minute and scuba diving is no exception. At the first opportunity (a reliable and fast internet connection is pretty hard to find here), I do a quick search on Google. The websites of two scuba clubs appear on the computer screen. The first is located in Lucca (a small city that is not near the sea but close to my sister’s house) and the second in Livorno (a larger urban center on the coast but more inconvenient to reach). I contact both of them. The instructor Daniele Boschi from Club Sub Città di Lucca (City of Lucca Diving Club) is the first to reply promptly.

We meet at a family run, unpretentious trattoria. While I am tasting a typical lucchese vegetables and bread soup with red house wine, I find out that the club has planned a one day diving trip near Livorno for the coming Sunday and I am welcome to come along. Daniele also tells me the instructors and students meet at local swimming pools twice a week.

Unfortunately, as the week progresses, the weather has become moody and unstable. My hope to do my first dive in Italian waters is crushed on Saturday when Daniele tells me on the phone that the club has cancelled the trip because the sea is too rough for diving safely. This disappointing news comes right when I am ready to have a break from hanging around in the chirping, dry and hilly countryside, brush off the spiders’ webs from my gear and make bubbles. Without any hesitation, I ask him if I could join his scuba class at the pool the following week.

On Wednesday, June 15, the evening sky is serene and filled with the acrobatic flights of swallows; while the moon rises and gradually turns red because a total lunar eclipse is taking place, I finally pull out the neglected scuba gear and dive in five feet of chlorinated water at Lucca ITI (a technical high school) swimming pool feeling thrilled like one of Daniele’s students and happy to know that my gear is still in good working conditions.

Daniele_FFins3036.jpg

Daniele at ITI Swimming Pool, Lucca

FFins_TA_3054.jpg

On June 18th I had the opportunity to pay a second visit to the Tyrrhenian Sea. This time I did not need to catch buses and trains because my sister gave me a ride. We drove to Livorno then headed south, following a rocky coastline, to reach her favorite lido called Fortullino, where the water is more transparent and, supposedly, cleaner than the one I have experienced at Viareggio.

A narrow and curvy one-lane road cuts through this stretch of the Tuscan coast. During the summer, it is usually congested with all sorts of wheeled vehicles and their crazy drivers. Public trails steeply lead to sea. Some are definitively not suitable for scuba divers unless the diver in question is like Miguel Angel Arias

Small lidos emerge from concrete platforms or man-made sandy beaches. Old towers and modern restaurants unexpectedly appear at the end of sharp bends with breathtaking views over the blue Tyrrhenian Sea. During days without too much haze, several islands, which are part of the Arcipelago Toscano, are also visible.

At a viewpoint we parked the car and inspected the watery expanse below us sighing: a cool wind creased the surface of the sea with nervous whitecaps while mighty breakers were bashing the rocky shore without mercy. There was no way that we could go swimming at Fortullino because the entry to the water on cobblestones would have been far too dangerous.

Feeling disappointed, Nature forced us to change our plan. After driving for 10 miles further south, we reached the small town of Rosignano Solvay. The rough shoreline gradually flattened and sand replaced rocks and cliffs. As a teenager, I remember glancing at this bright strip of sand from the back seat of my family’s car while my father was driving on the highway. In those days I had no idea that decades later I would have snorkeled in the weirdest water of the entire Italian coast here.

Immersing my body at the Spiaggie Bianche (White Beaches) was like taking a bath in milk. Unfortunately, it was not the milk of asses in which ancient powerful women like Cleopatra or Poppaea Sabina (mistress and later wife of the Roman Emperor Nero) used to bathe every day to enhance their beauty. Instead, it was a concoction of seawater mixed with cooked and finely grinded limestone and calcium chloride. An industrial waste that the nearby chemical plant Solvay has been dumping into the Tyrrhenian Sea since the 1940s while manufacturing sodium hydroxide, sodium bicarbonate and sodium carbonate.

My sister reassured me that swimming in that water was not a serious health hazard. Beside, a sign warned us that swimming was not allowed on a small stretch of the beach only (where the water is always white). It was an area one hundred meters long on both sides of a channel, which Solvay uses to discharge its waste into sea, located several miles south from the sandy spot where we had laid our towels, so according to the Italian law we were ok.

However she was surprised to notice that the water was milky white right where we were supposed to swim and everywhere else along the Spiaggie Bianche. Usually, it is crystal clear and turns turquoise with the increasing depth of the sea bottom as it were a pristine tropical beach. Even the water in a nearby channel, which supplies the plant with fresh seawater, was pure white. We guessed that the northwest wind and the rough conditions of the sea were spreading the limestone and calcium chloride from the mouth of the waste channel to the whole beach.

My first attempt to snorkel in this churning whiteness failed because, perhaps, the sun blinding light and the glow from this unreal water somehow made me lose my concentration while I was wearing my fins and the waves were tossing me around. When I thought I was ready, I began to kick only to discover after few seconds that my left foot felt lighter than the right one and with dismay I discovered that I had lost one fin!

Searching for a fin in that kind of visibility that goes well below zero was like trying to find a needle in a huge haystack. In vain I tried to look for the fin with the mask and my nose glued to the bottom. I could not see even the other bathers' feet. I quickly gave up and began to walk up and down the area between the spot where I remembered I was messing with the fin last and the stretch of beach where I assumed the waves were more likely pushing the fin to. While I was using my legs and feet as ‘fin detector’ all at sudden I saw the fin emerging from that watery artificial milk. A young man was holding it in one of his hands looking rather puzzled...​

[vimeo]25715057[/vimeo]​

Last edited:
I still remember a day of late summer in the early 1970s, when my sister and her boy friend invited me to go to a sea cave with his inflatable rowing boat that was located behind Cavoli Bay on Isola d’Elba, the largest island of the Tuscan Archipelago. Few years earlier, my parents picked Elba as a destination for our summer vacations at the seaside and soon I became a keen snorkeler.

The opportunity to explore a marine cave for the first time filled me with trepidation. I felt that the seawater inside a hole in a rocky cliff by the sea was somewhat special and, therefore, I hoped to encounter unique creatures there. Unfortunately, I did not see a sea monster, shark, or an exciting small marine animal while snorkeling inside the cave. However, the nuances of greens and blues of its water made a memorable impression. They revealed a beauty of the Tyrrhenian Sea that I had not experienced yet.

A week ago I had a similar unforgettable experience while diving in the waters of another island of the Tuscan Archipelago called Giglio. I am used to see an abundance of marine life in the Pacific Northwest and in some areas of the Caribbean. At a first glance, the Tyrrhenian Sea around Giglio looks pretty much empty in comparison. It may be a total disappointment for certain divers who consider a dive worth doing only if they can swim with turtles, dolphins or large schools of fish. Many centuries ago, the Tyrrhenian Sea might have offered just that. Now it is struggling to cope with the increasing human exploitation and pollution.​

[vimeo]26103776[/vimeo]​

Spent the weekend at Gilboa Quarry leading dives for the DUI DOG Days Event. Large number of divers showed up with Force Fins.
Got to show off my new TD Yellow Excellerating Force Fins. Personally, I think these events would be a great place for a FF Rep to
be at!! (Road Trip!)

The struggle with poor visibility, cheap photographic equipment and lack of training goes on! It is probably more suitable for an iPhone than an IMAX movie theatre. Keep the screen small unless you like to watch a lot of pixelated images! You will see a very large lingcod, though...

[video=vimeo;29493105]http://www.vimeo.com/29493105[/video]​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom