Where in St.Vincent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaresMan1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A small group of us are planning a trip to St. Vincent in a few months. We have dived many islands in the Caribbean, but know nothing about SVG. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions about SVG?

Thanks

DiveOn!

Hi, MM1!

Here is a little info on SV, but be warned it is somewhat dated.

SVG is not much dived compared to many of the Carib isles due to a paucity of great dive sites. This is due to the lack of well-developed reefs around the island. I was told the lack of reefs is due to recent (on a geologic time scale) volcanic activity.

However, the island is very lovely and frequented by lots of sailors and sybarites. Hence, accommodations abound.

I have some experience with two dive "shops":

Dive Bequia, owned and operated by Bob Sachs, is affiliated with a resort called the Plantation House. Both are classy operations, designed to cater to your whims--and you pay for it! Just plan on maxing out your credit card(s)! However, Bob will show you every courtesy and make your diving preparations as easy as it gets!

http://www.dive-bequia.com/

On the more reasonable side (monetarily speaking) is Dive St. Vincent, operated by Bill Tewes. Bill is a vey pleasant chap and when I was there, he ran two boats--six packs, both.

http://www.divestvincent.com/

The diving is mostly on the very southern tip of SV and off Bequia. A somewhat longish trip to the Tobago Cays can be arranged, as well.

A little more on the diving:

There is a somewhat of lack of colorful coral, but the gorgonians abound and there is some black coral to been seen at depth. The fish are reasonably abundant, but do not expect to see much in the way of large pelagics. However, off Bequia sharks and jacks do make appearances. In my opinion, the diving off Bequia is superior to that off SV, itself.

There are lots and lots of places to stay on SVG/Bequia and I suggest you pick up a Carib guide book for suggestions. You can stay in accommodations ranging from 4 star resorts to small guest houses.

Hope this helps a little--

Scorpionfish

MaresMan1 once bubbled...
A small group of us are planning a trip to St. Vincent in a few months. We have dived many islands in the Caribbean, but know nothing about SVG. Anyone have any experiences or suggestions about SVG?

Thanks

DiveOn!

Undercurrent had an article on St. Vincent in the March 2002 issue. Nice things were said about Dive St. Vincent.

I'm headed there in late February.

Hi Maresman,

I spent a week with the aforementioned Bill Tewes and Dive St. Vincent last August, after having read the undercurrent article. IMHO, it was one of my most enjoyable, and in some ways, absolutely my most enjoyable Caribbean dive experience. I've been lucky enough to have dived St. Lucia, Dominica, Guadalupe, Bonaire, Little Cayman and Guanaja (and lots here at home in Florida) so I feel I have some perspective.
It's certainly true that you won't find a lot of big fish in St. Vincent, but the small stuff---wow! Frog fish of every color and description, seahorses at almost every site in perfect camera-ready poses, lots of fish and critters I'd never seen before, loads of typical Caribbean reef fish, a half dozen octopi, and so many eels of so many colors and sizes that they became ho-hum by the end of the week.
I personally found the reefs to be in spectacularly healthy shape, with tons of sponges and gorgonians and plenty of coral. They're perhaps not as monumental in size as Bonaire or Little Cayman, but they appear to be untouched. There are a couple of nice walls to dive, lush with healthy sea life and other nice reefs.
Perhaps the best part of the experience, however, was the Dive St. Vincent op with Bill Tewes. This wry, weathered Texan, who ran an op in PNG for years before expatriating to St. Vincent, personally makes certain that every dive is a delight. He sports an etch-a-sketch type slate on which he writes the names of his latest find during your dive. You'll approach, read the name of the creature Bill's found and follow the extended, amputated Radio Shack antenna he uses as a pointing device to the species in question. He's usually the last one out of the water, just brimming with enthusiasm for this dive which, of course, is one of thousands he's taken at these sites. He dives every single dive with his clients (except, in my case, for a night dive on which I was the only diver when one of his quiet, humble, but extraordinarily capable and conscientious Vincentian crew members led the dive.)
If you have any taste for muck diving (which I didn't know I had!) you'll be in heaven, as that's Bill's religion. A couple of the 90-minute (!) dives we did in the sand yielded an impossible amount of strange beautiful and, in some cases, otherworldly critters. The only downside is that you have to push Bill somewhat to dive a regular reef, since he hates to leave his world of "muck".

I'm a single diver and found it pretty cool that Bill became a real buddy during my stay; inviting me to accompany him to a cocktail party on chi-chi Young Island and picking me up at the hotel for this jaunt. Introduced me to locals and other divers and generally made sure a good time was had by all. I've read of some folks being put off by his bordering-on-caustic, and dryly, lightly sarcastic sense of humor. But I found his needling me for my 5-mil wetsuit and accompanying weights and the bantering in both directions which ensued to add to the fun of the trip.
The boats are not particularly accomodating; the crew sets up your gear and stows it for'd in horizontal cubbies until dive time, when a full compliment on the boat makes for some sloppy gearing up, what with no benches or racks on deck. But, the atmosphere is so relaxed and the dives so long (as long as you've got air and deco time) that it ceases to matter.
I stayed at the Sunset Shores and found the accommodations simple but very comfortable (in the Holiday Inn mode), with plenty of room on the round table provided to download my pix onto my laptop. Also lots of hefty transformers for 110v available to guests to take to their rooms. Nice, remote-controlled AC unit. Never a hint of a question of security: left my laptop in the room every day. the food was quite good, if repetetive after a few days, but there's excellent dining to be had close by. A nice, quiet, grassy couryard overlooks a small white picket fence, beyond which lies one of those quintessential Caribbean scenes of small sandy beach, flat water dotted with yachts and the thickly-forested Young Island beyond. I found it nice that the beach was visited each day by local folks; mothers with loads of kids splash-dashing in the water, an almost continuous soccer game on the beach and fisher-folks gliding by on their kayak-like vessels.
All in all, I could do nothing but recommend the St. Vincent experience, though I did not dive Bequia (BECK-way, they pronounce it). Feel free to email me for more info. ENJOY!

PS: Here's a link to some of my St. Vincent photos. Click on St. Vincent once there...

http://photos.yahoo.com/peterjquatz

:doctor:

Thanks so much for your insights on St. Vincent. I read your reviews to the diving group and they are all stoked for the trip. We will be staying at Young Island, so it sounds like we will be in a great locale for Bequia and St. Vincent diving. I also understand that there is diving at a bat cavern near Petit Byhaut. We will definately look into that experience.

Thanks again for your replies. We cannot wait to get there.

:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom