Where to certify in Key West?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My husband and I have taken the SSI Open Water course and will be vacationing in Key West in June. Can anyone recommend a dive shop to certify? TIA

scarolinagirl:
My husband and I have taken the SSI Open Water course and will be vacationing in Key West in June. Can anyone recommend a dive shop to certify? TIA

I have heard the diving isn't that great in Key West. You might want to drive to Key Largo (there are a ton of good shops there). I have experience with Sea Dwellers and Quiescense (sp?) and Ocean Divers. All seemed like good operations.

Pretty much any shop will be able to do your referral dives, they all go to the same reefs. It all depends on how much you want to pay:

DiveKeyWest $225 plus equipment rental, includes the boat trips for two days.
Subtropic $299 includes equipment rental and boat trips for two days.
Captains Corner $225 includes equipment rental and boat trips for two days.

If you are going on a dive-only vacation then Key Largo might be a better choice. OTOH, if you are going on a hang-out-and-party vacation then Key West can't be beat. YMMV, but probably not. :D

you may also want to check out "Abyss Dive Center" in Marathon. Its only about an hour outside of Key West. Check out dives are $210.00 and include equipment

http://www.abyssdive.com

I have never heard anything good about diving Key West. I did snorkel there on my one time trip, and it was pretty disappointing.

21 miles up the OverSea Hiway, you have much better diving opportunities with a renown operator: Capt Jim Wyatt's Reef Divers. Click here and I think you will be very impressed.

My wife and I had a fantastic week of diving with Dive Key West last summer. They are top-notch in every way, especially the Captain! You simply can't go wrong with them.

I've only used Captain's Corner, you won't go wrong with them. They do a lot of training (as well as discover Scuba classes) from their shop. I've always considered them to be more training oriented than dive op oriented.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom