Where to dive in Ireland for dolphins and otherwise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, I couldn't get a response on the UK sub forum so I'm trying a cross post here.

I am going to be in Ireland in mid August and hope to get a couple of days of diving in. I'm having a hard time finding information on the best places to dive and what to expect.

Can anyone provide a short run down (or link to information) on diving in Ireland? Is there any region in particular where I'll be more likely to see dolphins? I'll start in Dublin and end up in Shannon, so I can pretty much go anywhere. Also, any particular dive ops to recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Check the following:

http://www.scuba.ie/centres/index.htm

Underwater viz is better on the west coast than on the east. Shannon is not a great place for diving. You need to go north to Clare or south to Kerry.

Otherwise, plan your excursions and target centres within a convenient radius of your plan.

When you have your short list completed I may be able to answer any specifics.

Cheers,

Seadeuce

I am thinking of going to Dingle (such as Waterworld) or going to Valentia Island (perhaps to get to Skelligs to hike and/or dive). From what I can gather online, I get the impression that overall Skelligs may be the best dive but at Dingle we are more likely to see dolphins or seals underwater. Do you have any thoughts comparing/contrasting these places or their dive ops?

We also may spend a night ot two on the Aran islands, but I haven't gotten the impression that the diving their is any better.

Thanks for your thoughts Seadeuce. Are you affiliated with a dive op (feel free to PM me about that)?

- Full Fin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom