Where to dive when sailing through Tuamotos and Society Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark girl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How should I balance my dives between the Tuamotos and Society Islands? Should I dive my heart out round Fakarava and Rangiroa, or are there 'must see' sites I should try to do round the Societies?

I'm spending this year sailing from New Zealand to Canada, with French Polynesia as our first stop to cruise through. We'll have 4 or 5 months in the islands and can go pretty much anywhere there's an anchorage, so we're time rich but operating on a tight budget. We'll be visiting Raivavae, the Tuamotos (Fakarava, then island hopping up to Rangiroa and Tikehau) and finally the Society Islands. I'm looking at a Te Moana pass (or two!), with the possibility of a few extra dives here and there (with the dive centres on the South of Fakarava, for example). I was intending spreading my diving out throughout FP until I read the trip reports here- but I want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything life-changing if I do all my diving in the Tuamotos!

Are there any Society Island sites that are 'must dos' or will I regret not doing all my dives in the Tuamotos? Which sites are you favourites?

Thanks!

Andrea

Hi Andrea,

We sailed and dove around Raiatea, Taha'a and Bora Bora on a bareboat charter. Not much to complain about there, but then we spent a week on Rangiroa and at least for diving, it was a step above. Heard great things about Fakarava, but haven't been. I think the Tuamotos will probably get the nod for diving, but the societies are spectacular.

Fair winds and following seas!

Thank you- that's good to hear! At the very least, I can snorkel the Societies to my heart's content- and nice to know it won't be disappointing if I do save a dive or two

You should dive wherever you can! I'm envious of your trip and can't wait to go back myself.

Thanks! I'll certainly be underwater with tanks as much as my budget allows (the rest of the time I'll be under water with a snorkel!). Hope you get back soon!

Back
Top Bottom