Where to get cave line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For the cave line that you use to attach your swivel snaps to your equipment, where do you get it? Is simple #24 nylon line from a hardware store (or even Wal-Mart) acceptable, or is there something special about the #24 "cave" nylon line all of you use?

i'm sure you'll get better answers, but...

as long as it's braided #24 nylon, it should be ok. i got some smaller (#18) at home depot sold as mason's twine (hot pink! woo hoo!). the answer to where i got the larger stuff is 'cave excursions', but that might not be totally helpful if you don't live near north fl.

Yes, #18 braided mason's line is what I use for tying. It's also great if you have Neptuno's mini spools which will hold about 25' of 18#/

You probably already have a spool with say, 100 ft, of line already on there for use when shooting a SMB. Just cut a good couple feet off the line and you'll have enough "cave" line to tie your bolt snaps on and have plenty left over. Most bag shoots aren't done from 100 ft, so you won't really miss the line you cut off.

Mel

Just, if you are going to buy line, make sure it's BRAIDED. I made the mistake of buying some nylon line which is wound, and it unravels. REI carries braided nylon line of appropriate diameters in COLORS.

Home Depot has it for like 5 or 6 bux for 500 ft or some ridiculous amount...

--L

Lord, that's where I bought mine, but it wasn't braided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom