Where to go for AOW weekend from NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gowanus Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m a NYC based diver interested in taking an PADI AOW class in August. I was thinking of just doing it up in NYC, maybe at Pan Aqua. However, my wife (who isn’t a diver due to a lung condition) suggested we go down somewhere warmer and nicer and she can spend the weekend on a beautiful beach.

I’m open to the idea, but wonder where to go? Ideally direct flights from NYC, great instruction, and decent diving. could we do something as aggressive as fly out on Thursday night, dive Friday and Saturday, fly back Sunday night? Preferably somewhere international.

dive Friday and Saturday, fly back Sunday night
That's very risky. You should try and plan for 24 hours of surface time to reduce the nitrogen in your body before flying. Much safer if you could fly back on Monday or even Monday evening. Flying and diving in the same day puts you at a high risk of developing DCS on the plane. That said, Cozumel MX, Utila HN, and Roatan HN are three candidates you should consider.

That's very risky. You should try and plan for 24 hours of surface time to desaturate before flying. Much safer if you could fly back on Monday or even Monday evening.
Yeah, definitely. Was thinking get out of the water Saturday afternoon, say, at 3. Then fly back Sunday afternoon gives you 18+ hours. But as I said that’s very aggressive so waiting until Monday makes more sense.

The the devil’s in the details and everyone’s risk analysis is personal…I don’t find 18+ hours particularly aggressive. Odds are 2 days of AOW, tropical diving with an instructor won’t be terribly aggressive diving either. 🤿😎

(Good warning advice above)

Nassau/Freeport Bahamas- isn’t that a basic “bus route” thing from NYC?

…. great instruction, and decent diving….

AOW done on a long weekend is a ticket punch kind of thing.

And ‘decent diving’… you’re killin’ me, Smalls :wink: Go do the required dives, get the card (and patch), if you see a fish… bonus.

Ft. Lauderdale?

Stuart's Cove divers Nassau..

I’m a NYC based diver interested in taking an PADI AOW class in August. I was thinking of just doing it up in NYC, maybe at Pan Aqua. However, my wife (who isn’t a diver due to a lung condition) suggested we go down somewhere warmer and nicer and she can spend the weekend on a beautiful beach.

I’m open to the idea, but wonder where to go? Ideally direct flights from NYC, great instruction, and decent diving. could we do something as aggressive as fly out on Thursday night, dive Friday and Saturday, fly back Sunday night? Preferably somewhere international.

I suggest Cape Ann/Boston area. Nicer than NY and plenty to do for her while you're doing your training. RI is nice also.
Hi @Gowanus Diver

Oh, but Cape Ann is so cold, brrrrrrr.

Fly down to West Palm (PBI) on Thurs night. Do your AOW with Jupiter Dive Center, 3 dives on Sat, 2 on Sunday. You could be done very early afternoon and fly home on Sunday afternoon. That could even give you a free dive on Saturday afternoon. I'm sure you could find a fine place to stay so that your wife would be happy. I have my own home north of Boynton Beach, so can't help you with accommodations, others can. JDC has many very good instructors and, I'm sure, would be able to accommodate you. The diving is very good, the water is warm, it's summer in Florida.

Best of luck in your planning. Goliath Grouper aggregation may already be starting if you go to Jupiter.

I'm not sure this is the best time to be trying to squeeze an international dive trip into a weekend. There are so many COVID-related flight cancellations, it just seems like there's a lot that can go wrong. I'd hold off for now, try to set aside a little extra time, or plan a destination based on fewest failure points and most available alternative plans (driving distance or short direct flight offered multiple times per day.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom