Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReedFamily

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In July we are scheduled to go to Grand Cayman, this will be our second time there. We loved our first time there. But I was second guessing going there in hopes to see more of the Caribbean. Is there a place in the Caribbean anyone recommends? I'm thinking we could go to Turks and Caicos but it seems like most of the quality resorts we would stay at are way overpriced. Anyone with any recommendations?

Our family loves Cozumel and Cayman.
We didn't care for the roughness of Aruba.
My wife and I have been to Bonaire but it has been too long to remember.

Thanks for any advice.

In July we are scheduled to go to Grand Cayman, this will be our second time there. We loved our first time there. But I was second guessing going there in hopes to see more of the Caribbean. Is there a place in the Caribbean anyone recommends? I'm thinking we could go to Turks and Caicos but it seems like most of the quality resorts we would stay at are way overpriced. Anyone with any recommendations?

Our family loves Cozumel and Cayman.
We didn't care for the roughness of Aruba.
My wife and I have been to Bonaire but it has been too long to remember.

Thanks for any advice.

more info needed....
how many divers? non-divers?
how many dives per day do you want to do?
do you want a fancy resort or more rustic?
do you want topside activities?
all-inclusive or not?
reefs? wrecks? deep? big animals? little animals?

From what you have said, I would bet that you would really enjoy Belize, Roatan, or Bonaire. But answering my questions would determine which you would like best and which resort to recommend. All have great diving.

If everyone is into diving, Check out the smaller islands. (Little Cayman & Brac)
The diving is tops off Bloody Bay Wall. Just make sure whatever resort you look at has recovered from previous huricanes.

more info needed....
how many divers? non-divers?
how many dives per day do you want to do?
do you want a fancy resort or more rustic?
do you want topside activities?
all-inclusive or not?
reefs? wrecks? deep? big animals? little animals?

From what you have said, I would bet that you would really enjoy Belize, Roatan, or Bonaire. But answering my questions would determine which you would like best and which resort to recommend. All have great diving.

4-divers 0-nondivers
2 dives a day for about 3-4 days
We like more fancy resorts (we are scheduled to stay at westin-which we loved last time- in cayman) , we don't like dated worn out resorts
we mainly go on vacation and scuba and sit by the pool and eat. that is the activities we do
all inclusive or not---both have good and bad points
Reefs-we love
Wrecks-Okay
Deep-we like shallower water more, seems to have more color
animals-we prefer smaller one but big ones are also good.

Also a decision maker is we have to get there through american airlines, we are using our miles this year to save some money. So as long as American Airlines fly there. Sadly they don't fly to bonaire, where we where looking at earlier.

Thanks for the help in deciding.

4-divers 0-nondivers
2 dives a day for about 3-4 days
We like more fancy resorts (we are scheduled to stay at westin-which we loved last time- in cayman) , we don't like dated worn out resorts
we mainly go on vacation and scuba and sit by the pool and eat. that is the activities we do
all inclusive or not---both have good and bad points
Reefs-we love
Wrecks-Okay
Deep-we like shallower water more, seems to have more color
animals-we prefer smaller one but big ones are also good.

Also a decision maker is we have to get there through american airlines, we are using our miles this year to save some money. So as long as American Airlines fly there. Sadly they don't fly to bonaire, where we where looking at earlier.

Thanks for the help in deciding.

well....... that dramatically changes my recommendations.
I would mark Belize and Roatan off your list... they have more rustic resorts/island-style, which is not a negative, it is just different from a big fancy resort. There are a few "fancy" resorts in both but they still may not be up to your expectations.
Anthony's Key, Roatan: http://www.anthonyskey.com/en/index.html
Ramons, Ambergris Caye, Belize http://www.ramons.com/

Fancy resorts, offering 2 boat dives per day:
Cozumel has a few places to look at:
Cozumel Palace Cozumel Palace - Caradonna Dive Adventures
Fiesta Americana Fiesta Americana Cozumel Dive Resort - Caradonna Dive Adventures
El Presidente Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort and Spa - Caradonna Dive Adventures
Occidental Grand All inclusive vacation Cozumel resort hotel Mexico - Bay Adventures

just across from Cozumel, on the mainland Mexico:
El Cid Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort Riviera Maya - All Inclusive - Caradonna Dive Adventures
Dreams Tulum Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa - Caradonna Dive Adventures

if you want to go somewhere other than the Caribbean, then check out:
Beqa lagoon, Fiji Beqa Lagoon Resort - Caradonna Dive Adventures
prices include airfare from LAX

hope this helps get you started in the right direction.

robin:D

I'll give a big thumbs up for the Little Cayman Beach Resort. We were there last month and the they have had a $1,000,000 renovation and the rooms were spectacular! 5* in my opinion. The food is excellent and the diving top notch! They have different packages and one is a two dive a day package.

You can easily get to Grand Cayman with American but will have to take Cayman Air from there. That's the only way to fly into LC. But it's like $130 RT so it's not bad at all. It is a smaller plane and the flight takes about 25 minutes.

Here is a link to their website. Little Cayman Beach Resort, Cayman Islands, Caribbean

The Club at Little Cayman. Hands down the best resort on that little island. Perfect for what you describe.

You can get to Curacao on American and there a couple nice resorts that would meet your needs. I'd suggest Kura Hulanda Lodge if you want to be way off the beaten path (the onsite restaurant is good but other local restaurant choices are limited.) Or the Marriott Beach Resort if you want to be closer to town and lots of other restaurants. Both have good onsite ops with boats leaving from the resort and onsite shore diving, though the diving from Kura Hulanda will be somewhat nicer on average as it's more remote. Both have nice pool areas for the hanging out part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom