Where to move?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc - curious about your opinion of medical care in Grand Cayman...thoughts?

Doc - curious about your opinion of medical care in Grand Cayman...thoughts?

A bit kind of maybe OT?

When nervous mommies ask me about Caribbean travel with their young prodigies and future Senator spawn, I always put GC on top of the list for medical availability combined with some extent of remaining natural u/w opportunity.

Kids are a similar issue to us old farts, but everybody gets worked up when a child croaks. When old people die in paradise, the universal "at least he died doing what he liked" is sounded before everybody begins drinking again and living out their own dreams. Humans with less than healthy adult systems are always at risk, but one has to consider the elapsed time from onset to viable treatment.

The better the diving, the worse is the medical care or infrastructure of any sort. Nassau also has great medical facilities, but would you really want to dive there long term? (more than a day?)

Fortune favors the brave, but children are not authorized to determine their own level of risk acceptance.

I love Belize great diving!! I love the People. Hope I will spend a lot of my retirement there.

at that point in life when you start to need quality medical attention readily available you want to move to an underdeveloped country?

There are many, MANY, great doctors in Asia that have been trained in Germany and the US; I know that the doctor I saw in Thailand (Bumrungrad) was an US Expat who did not want to deal with the Medical Insurance & Hospital Politics in the U.S, just practice medicine.

No worries there!!!

Or get a job here with housing & meals provided for . . . On US Army Base Kwajalein Atoll/Ronald Reagan Ballistic Missile Test Site:

Well we will give this a try...just applied last Friday :)

thanks for the input. Looks like the Philippines is hard to beat. Going down and take a look see. Viz and Tuna? What can beat that?

There's a few other dimensions to this worth considering.

(1) How are the location's immigration policies? If you want to live in a location long term, some countries have incentives. Some, on the other hand, make it a pain.

(2) Do you have a desire to work in your location (even something small to keep busy)? If so, some places may not let you do that.

(3) Do you have a chronic medical condition, e.g. dialysis, that requires regular care?

(4) What kind of non-diving things do you need to have around you?

(5) Do you have a desire to buy property? Some countries prohibit foreign real estate ownership?

(6) Have you considered how you will maintain your interests in your home country (e.g. getting mail from home routed to your new location)?

There are a lot of practical factors to examine.

Whatever you decide to go, I suggest renting for 6 months - 1 year to see how you feel about it first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom