Where to place odd numbered weights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get over any reaction to uneven weighting pretty easily, esp. if the difference is 1-2 lbs. Use at least a couple small weights so the unbalance is just 1 lb. You should be able to get used to this difference, many people carry canister lights, reels, stage tanks etc. without changing their weight configuration.

If it really bothers you, then dive with that extra 1lb of weight.

At least in a wing-type BC, when you are horizontal, the air in the BC is up in the side pontoons, lifting them up alongside the tank. As long as you stay horizontal, the gas cannot shift from one side to the other. So if you put air in the BC and roll a tiny bit to the right, the gas will go in the left pontoon and stay there. (And, btw, it sounds as though this is complicated, but you do it instinctively from the beginning -- I don't know how -- and you're unaware of what you did, except that it works.) On the Intro to Tech 5thD-x dVD, there is an excellent example of this, but I cannot find that video on line this morning.

I'm going to need a C card from you soon, seeing how I'm learning something new from you on an almost daily basis.

With a standard weight belt with no trims/integrated etc we normally recommend students to put even numbers on each hip, and odd ones at front centre with the buckle slightly off centre. Its not ideal for pool/skills sessions at it does pull them forward slightly if the hip placed weights are not far enough back. But out in open water it does help with having the correct horizontal swimming position - especially with newer divers who tend to want to be a bit more upright - as well as keeping balance even.

I'm going to need a C card from you soon, seeing how I'm learning something new from you on an almost daily basis.

Maybe we could have a TS&M Distinctive Specialty course.

I'll bet that the fact that you notice it has more to do with you knowing you did it than you actually feeling a difference. If you did it by accident, you'd probably do the dive without thinking about it.

I use 3kg on a weight belt in the form of 3x1kg blocks. One on each hip and the other in the center my back. I wear my weightbelt just below the bottom edge of my back plate

I only calculate my weight down to the pound when making an accurate weight check. Normally I will weight for a dive 2 or 3 pounds over so that my weight is even and I can maintain a stop at less than 500# and/or less than 15' if necessary. Having a variety of weights available will make easier to set up your rig and change configuration when necessary.

I use a pocket type weight belt so I can change weights easily when I change tanks from one dive to the next. I also can move weight from one side to another during the dive when necessary.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom