Where to Start With Instructor Development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even given PADI's limited requirements, I can't believe that it's even possible to legitimately advertise a program like this.

Terry

There are many people on this board, myself included, who think that the bodyfat and swimming requirements for being an instructor should be more stringent than they are. I personally cannot believe that it is possible to be overweight or a poor swimmer and be an instructor. Maybe some instructors (or dive cons) should be lucky that the standards are lax. Then again, neither your comment nor mine fit in with the topic of this thread.

There are many people on this board, myself included, who think that the bodyfat and swimming requirements for being an instructor should be more stringent than they are. I personally cannot believe that it is possible to be overweight or a poor swimmer and be an instructor. Maybe some instructors (or dive cons) should be lucky that the standards are lax.

Good point!

There are many people on this board, myself included, who think that the bodyfat and swimming requirements for being an instructor should be more stringent than they are.

I have no idea what PADI's physical standards are for instructors, however as long as the instructor has what it takes to rescue a panicked diver, tow someone back to the boat/shore, and carry a victim up a ladder or beach, that's good enough for me.

In any case, my comments fit just fine. The OP was asking about a zero-to-hero program he signed up for. I think it's a bad idea not only for SCUBA, but for anything.

Terry

Web Monkey:
The OP was asking about a zero-to-hero program he signed up for. I think it's a bad idea not only for SCUBA, but for anything.

These zero to hero programs are very common and have been common for decades. While I agree with you, I understand that they are here to stay and they do produce the typical instructor. I don't recommend them, but they represent how the world learns to dive.

I have no idea what PADI's physical standards are for instructors, however as long as the instructor has what it takes to rescue a panicked diver, tow someone back to the boat/shore, and carry a victim up a ladder or beach, that's good enough for me.

In any case, my comments fit just fine. The OP was asking about a zero-to-hero program he signed up for. I think it's a bad idea not only for SCUBA, but for anything.

Terry

It doesn't matter what the standards are for instructor certification if the standards don't include periodic testing for the entire instructor's career. Someone can be very fit when they become a DM or instructor and over the years gain a lot of weight. There are many DMs and instructors out there who I would not trust to swim 100 yds. before having to quit and would be hard-pressed to make a real rescue if needed. Those are the types that I would think Slonda is referring to.

It doesn't matter what the standards are for instructor certification if the standards don't include periodic testing for the entire instructor's career. Someone can be very fit when they become a DM or instructor and over the years gain a lot of weight. There are many DMs and instructors out there who I would not trust to swim 100 yds. before having to quit and would be hard-pressed to make a real rescue if needed. Those are the types that I would think Slonda is referring to.

I agree wholeheartedly and so does most of the incidental and anecdotal research completed out there. Interestingly enough there are no formal research studies of which I am aware.

This same discussion has been on-going in another thread on the instructor to instructor forum. "Lifeguard Requirement for Pros?" This topic is picked up about mid way through the thread. Some of it is not appropriate for posting here but the instructors following this thread may find it an interesting read.

is there a website i can go to check where i can get my dm certification?
regards
Heather

While I agree with a lot of the post here regarding experience - at the same time I appreciate your enthusiasm and determination to get this done! Our industry needs more professionals with your passion and a lot of us tend to forget we were all green once too! There is a lot of good advice here and I agree with some of it. You definitely need a lot of background in physics, physiology, dive procedures and safety. FAR MORE than you will probably get in your course depending on the student pool you will be teaching in. The more background you have the better instructor you will be.

However, one of the pieces of advice I would add to most of the above is SWIM. As an instructor trainer who has literally trained hundreds of instructors, one of the most common issues I see in the water is candidates who cannot focus on the material presented pool side or in open water because they are overtaxed physically. You should swim 1000 meters in mask, fins and snorkel and 500 meters free swimming 3 or 4 times a week if possible. Test yourself - you should be able to complete an 800 meter snorkel swim in less than 14 minutes (comfortably) and a 500m free swim in less than 12 minutes comfortably. Also practice swimming 25 m or farther underwater on one breath. Then grab your gear - an instructor candidate should be able to hover motionless for at least 2 minutes at a set depth (+-1 ft) in a normal face down swimming position. You should also have a superior skill level for all other basic dive skills.

DIVE EVERY CHANCE YOU GET until your course begins (and of course during it as well)

Aside from that read everything you can find both from your course materials and other materials. Review all of the diving accidents you can find and analyze the causes of the accidents - learn from the mistakes of others!

Good luck with your class and even though I am not an advocate of the xday wonder classes - if you are committed you can come out of the course as a pretty good instructor. So do not let anyone rain on your parade - keep your enthusiasm - and enjoy your program. Finally, never accept short cuts not from yourself and not from your instructors - do not cheat yourself and do not let anyone else cheat you out of effective training!

Safe Diving,

is there a website i can go to check where i can get my dm certification?
regards
Heather

Well you can just go to one of the agency websites and they usually have a way to punch in your desired location and it will produce a list of instructors in that area. Try NAUI or PADI

Or just go to Google and search for dive shops in your choice location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom