Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow Ontario divers -

I'm quite new to diving and so far have only experienced warm, clear water. But my new addiction to diving means I have to figure out the local stuff, and I'm not sure where to start. So, a few questions:
1) Where and when is wet diving possible in Ontario? (I'm reasonably hardy, having spent most of my summers swimming in north Ontario lakes).
2) Does anyone know of a shop that will do dry suit classes and rent you the suit? In the research I've done, the classes seem mostly offered when you buy the suit.
3) I'm in Toronto and, as I mentioned, I'm a newb. My buddy/husband has pretty much ruled out the cold water diving. Any suggestions on clubs where a lonely newb like me might find some patient people to dive with?
4) I did my class and pool work with a shop here in Toronto and did my check out dives down south. The shop here was OK, but I'd like to expand my horizons. I don't think I'm ready for AOW yet, but would like to take a speciality class or two, so I can get used to very different conditions with an instructor around. Plus, I'd really like to work with an instructor in an ongoing way over time to improve my skills. I'd love some recommendations.
5) How nervous should I be about moving from warm, clear, relatively ''easy" diving to the local conditions? Am I back to square one?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers,
Liz

Hopefully these answer some of your questions...
You can pretty much dive from late April/May -> October/Nov. Surface temps are not the best but the water is usually above 40F at those times. I think some of the shops do provide suit rentals, you may just have to call them up to find out which ones do and which ones do not. I'm sure others will chime in whom have rented suits as well as recommendations.
You found this site, there are several others (ontariodiving.com) that cater to Ontario diving. Many shops now have thier own forums too which is another source of buddies.
I wouldnt say you were back to square one, you will have more gear on especially in terms of exposure protection. This will also lead to more weight you'll need to carry to keep you down there. Its basically the same so you should be OK.

Safe dives...

Do you plan to only dive around TO or are you travelling around? We have some nice dive sites around the Thunder Bay area...although current water temp is 41!!!

I'll probably travel around a bit - but I'm thinking Kingston, Tobermory - Thunder Bay might be a little far this summer. Although my brother has been working up there quite a bit over the last year and really likes it (he's not a diver though).

I have to say, I was just in Florida where the water temp was about 80 F - I don't know quite how I'm gonna handle 41!

There will be some divers at humber bay west this weekend... If you wanted to go for a quick dip, this site is ideal for a refresher...

If you would like dry suit training and rental included go to www.dansdiveshop.ca they are in St Catherines which is close to you. I'm going down there for an advanced class in a few weeks, why?, I don't know but it is more diving. 47 degress last dive in Kempenfelt Bay in Barrie, Lots of big Bass but no rod to catch em'. Pretty much dive from Ice season to Ice season. Tell your hubby/buddy not to be such a woos, best diving at alot of places is early spring and late fall as the weeds are no out yet!

Hi Liz:

Even though the water is cool at times and the VIZ only 20-30 feet at best, there are many interesting shipwrecks to see from Kingston up towards Brockville. Brockville to Cornwall there are many interesting submerged LOCKS to see and then there are the Lost Villages. The SOS website (Save Ontario Shipwrecks) will tell you more about it. Safe diving Liz. BTW The water temp was up to 56 F the other day.

Cheers

Thanks everyone! All this information is really useful. I'm resolved to get wet at least a few times this summer! Horn, it'd be great to know how your class at Dan's turns out.

Cheers,
Liz

Lake Simcoe (The JC Morrison) warms up pretty quick. Won't be great vis, but will be in the 60's very soon and will reach the 70's. Brockville and other areas of the St. Lawrence also get into the 70's (when depends on how hot the weather is). Kingston's surface temps get up there (upper 60's) but thermoclines are present (none in the St. Lawrence due to the current) so the shallow wrecks my be in the 50's and the deep wrecks will be in the low 40's all the time.
Can't help much on the Drysuit rental. My wife tried diving dry and can't stand the neck seal, so she dives from now till late fall wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom